MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #31
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wife makes a quick chicken and rice dish using a box of Uncle Ben's Original with can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of water. Mix all of that in a caserole and place chicken breasts on top. Cook for an hour at 350 degrees.

Now, the wife likes to overcook everything. The skinless breasts don't hold up well. They are DRY. If I were to do it, I'd use de-boned thighs that have been browned in a fry pan first.

Other than the dry chicken, its a really great, quick dish. Well, more easy than quick.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

As far as prepared rices, I use the Sadaf brand of Indian rice.

almost no sodium, and great flavor.

PM me if you want a low/no sodium prepared rice source

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #33
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

I Like jambalaya , shrimp and andoullie, or even chicken and sausage....I like dirty rice alot and make it as a side often with BBQ ...My all time favorite is just good ole roast and rice and gravy ...something I ate nearly every day of my life gorwing up in South East Texas......Coon Ass Mod!!
Another one of my BIG fav's is this recipie I posted in the recipie section for Rice Balls....MMmmmMMMmmmm!!!! Give ot a try!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook...?id=1168229527

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #34
parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Wife makes a quick chicken and rice dish using a box of Uncle Ben's Original with can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of water. Mix all of that in a caserole and place chicken breasts on top. Cook for an hour at 350 degrees.

Now, the wife likes to overcook everything. The skinless breasts don't hold up well. They are DRY. If I were to do it, I'd use de-boned thighs that have been browned in a fry pan first.

Other than the dry chicken, its a really great, quick dish. Well, more easy than quick.
That is one of my favorite one dish meals. Need to leave the skins on though and use milk in place of that water.

I made another version once that was good. I put porkchops on it and rather than the cream of chicken/mushroom I used a can of tomato soup.

Saffron rice is must when I have saffron in the house. I happen to have some right now that I picked up during the winter on a cruise. I think that is what will be eaten later today.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #35
parrothead

Zatarains dirty rice is pretty darned good stuff as well. Just follow the directions on the box. I'm thinking that some fall apart brisket would go good in there rather than the burger.

American Picker Blog

Last edited by parrothead; 06-23-2007 at 08:59 AM..
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #36
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Zatarains Creole Chicken is good chit too!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #37
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Bigmista's yellow rice
Do we really want to know why it's called "Yellow Rice"

When we were growing up we did the campbell's mushroom soup but that was because a 9 year old could make it.

Now - I rather have it plain and add my own stuff on top.

it's part of the whole Chinese thing - got used to eating rice everyday plain for almost 10 years and it just stuck.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #38
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Zatarains dirty rice is pretty darned good stuff as well. Just follow the directions on the box. I'm thinking that some fall apart brisket would go good in there rather than the burger.
Make dirty rice with crumbled fatty. Yum!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #39
Hiloboy
Full Fledged Farker

you know i eat rice for all most every meal if not rice its poi .and the only way i can think of making it is plain cooked white rice and fried rice. thanks for all the new ways to make rice.. i'm going to try some of these out sounds good...
#1,WSM
#2,Big Green Eggs(large)
a #2 La Caja China
# 2 Weber kettle gold 22.5

The best smoke for making Q... is made from grass skirts...
Hiloboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #40
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I really like this organic wild rice blend that I get in the bulk food section of the health market at my local Hy-Vee (grocery store). It's actually a blend of five different kinds of non-processed rice including Minnesota wild rice, sushi rice, long grain white rice, basmati and . . . and . . . I can't remember the fifth one right off the bat. It's very colorful.

I bring to a boil twice as much water as the amount of rice I'm cooking. This is usually 1.5 cups water for .75 cup of rice.

While I'm waiting for the water to boil, I chop up a couple carrots and some broccoli. I set aside the florets for later. Once the water is boiling I dump in the wild rice blend and bring the temperature down to simmer range. I put the carrots and broccoli on top of the rice and let it all simmer, covered, for 50 minutes while I go back to work at my desk.

At 50 minutes, I open the lid and add the florets to the top of the mostly finished rice and cook it, still covered, for ten more minutes so those florets can get steamed. They turn just a beautiful shade of dark green!

Once that's done I transfer it all to a bowl where I add some Eden Soy Shoyu Sauce (I think shoyu soy sauce is heaven on earth!) some Zatarain's Creole seasoning, some course ground black pepper and a bit of ginger if I'm feeling adventurous. (Side note: I do drink A LOT of water each day to flush out all that sodium.)

Modifications include adding a can of soup instead of the veggies - cream of mushroom tastes great with this - and of course crumbled up fatties, chopped smoked sausages, etc.

I eat this almost every day at work for lunch - but I've been bad lately. Eating a lot of fast food crud . . . need to get back on the healthy food wagon.

But that's how I enjoy cooking rice, for what it's worth.

( Man, that is one UGLY dog, Hiloboy! :-) )
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote