MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
SkinnyVinny
On the road to being a farker

Default New Brinkman Offset design for 2014?

Hi All,

Noticed this bad boy online from a local hardware store. Just says offset smoker, but Brinkmann is the company. Model #855-4305-F for those interested. $269 CDN is what it is selling for.

So what do you all think? Looks like they upgraded their old offset smoker and gave it more of a "Lang" feel without the Lang price

Most likely will have the same quality as the previous brinkman, and most likely will require some mods as well. Only found one review so far that seems to confirm this.

Hopefully I have time this weekend to check it out in person if they have it on display and take some pics. Either way, I'll be waiting in the fall to see how far they'll be discounted before purchasing.
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
chunkylatinlover
Knows what a fatty is.

For that price I would go with the Oklahoma Joe they sell at Walmart. Its the same price but bigger and more than likely thicker steel.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-J...Black/33605961
chunkylatinlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

The old Brinkman was made of 1/4" steel and worked wonderfully. This one is 1/8" or less and not made nearly as well. I bought the 1/4" one 5- years ago and it has been working wonderfully.
[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=3]That Smokin' Preacher. Ribs and :mad2:[COLOR=red]Hot Peppers[/COLOR]:mad2:[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][LIST][*][B]WKG (Weber Kettle Grill)[/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]Brinkman heavy duty Cimarron offset[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=red]Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=black]One big tow-behind Wood-fired grill [/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=gray]and one itty bitty gasser[/COLOR] :doh:[/COLOR][/B][/LIST]
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

1/4" on a Brinkmann? Which model? My 4 yr old one is the next grade up from tin foil. When I get my Shirley next week, it's gonna have a 3/8" CC and FB....a big step up!
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Driver View Post
1/4" on a Brinkmann? Which model?
The old Cimmaron models were 1/4" steel. Mine is 12 to 15 yo and it's 1/4".
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Harbor. I now know that Brinkmann has made some significant reductions in their product. Didn't know they had 1/4" ones before. Guess they wanted to go the thinner metal/cheaper price way. Whatever makes them money I guess...
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Driver View Post
Thanks Harbor. I now know that Brinkmann has made some significant reductions in their product. Didn't know they had 1/4" ones before. Guess they wanted to go the thinner metal/cheaper price way. Whatever makes them money I guess...
Brinkmann has been around a long time and has had many quailty products in the past.

The price of the materials dictates the selling price. Its impossible to make a 1/4" smoker these days and sell it for $269.

They produce cookers for the mass market, and have introduced many people to our hobby who would otherwise be priced out of it.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

SkinnyVinny - welcome!

I'm curious where you're located. I noticed the review indicated the writer was around Guelph, ON and got his at Rona.

My comment would be that mods or not, if you want to cook year 'round, that Brinkmann will not cooperate in the Canadian winter. I know some people drape a moving blanket around the cook chamber to help against wind-chill.

I bought a Char-Griller "American Gourmet" model from Canadian Tire about 9 years ago and got my best result on a blistering hot August day. I will admit I was a long way off from learning decent fire control though, and do plan to take another crack at the cooker this summer.

I've had much better product coming off my Weber 22.5" kettle and an Ugly Drum Smoker I built 2 years ago. I have minimal metal working skills - if I can build an UDS, almost anyone can. I cook on both all year in Muskoka and this year we had a frostier than usual winter. As long as there's a bit of a wind break, I do OK

What are you cooking on at present? A Weber kettle can make awesome 'Que, and I think you'd be tending it about as much as an offset. I also love my UDS and use it the most.

I do understand the old school attraction of an offset, though. I fell for it and plan to pursue more carefully this summer.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
Brinkmann has been around a long time and has had many quailty products in the past.

The price of the materials dictates the selling price. Its impossible to make a 1/4" smoker these days and sell it for $269.

They produce cookers for the mass market, and have introduced many people to our hobby who would otherwise be priced out of it.
The "Cimmaron" sounds about right. It is the one with the smaller iron wheels. The CC is 16" dia, I think, as is the FB. Everything, except the grates, etc is fully welded; the smokestack is also 1/4", but is held into a flange with a heavy duty bolt.

I bought mine at Westlake Ace Hardware 7-8 years ago for $500.00 and it was worth every cent. Although I have the big offset in my profile pic, this Brinkman is still fully functional and I still use it.

The one in the pic in this thread's original post is a nice unit, but not nearly as well done. It is somewhat better than the tinfoil designs that are similar elsewhere, but I think I'd spend that money on a better quality unit.
[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=3]That Smokin' Preacher. Ribs and :mad2:[COLOR=red]Hot Peppers[/COLOR]:mad2:[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][LIST][*][B]WKG (Weber Kettle Grill)[/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]Brinkman heavy duty Cimarron offset[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=red]Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=black]One big tow-behind Wood-fired grill [/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=gray]and one itty bitty gasser[/COLOR] :doh:[/COLOR][/B][/LIST]
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
SkinnyVinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
SkinnyVinny - welcome!

I'm curious where you're located. I noticed the review indicated the writer was around Guelph, ON and got his at Rona.

My comment would be that mods or not, if you want to cook year 'round, that Brinkmann will not cooperate in the Canadian winter. I know some people drape a moving blanket around the cook chamber to help against wind-chill.

I bought a Char-Griller "American Gourmet" model from Canadian Tire about 9 years ago and got my best result on a blistering hot August day. I will admit I was a long way off from learning decent fire control though, and do plan to take another crack at the cooker this summer.

I've had much better product coming off my Weber 22.5" kettle and an Ugly Drum Smoker I built 2 years ago. I have minimal metal working skills - if I can build an UDS, almost anyone can. I cook on both all year in Muskoka and this year we had a frostier than usual winter. As long as there's a bit of a wind break, I do OK

What are you cooking on at present? A Weber kettle can make awesome 'Que, and I think you'd be tending it about as much as an offset. I also love my UDS and use it the most.

I do understand the old school attraction of an offset, though. I fell for it and plan to pursue more carefully this summer.

Hey smokainmuskoka! I'm probably west of you a little bit, located in the heart of the prairies!

currently have UDS, 22.5 weber, and the lil smokin joe. The UDS is awesome, but lately I've been going to the weber. Just love the versatility of the thing!

Kind of like the idea of having an offset. Nice little conversation piece. Was hoping with the newish design that it would be better than the older char griller version they sell at CDN tire. But I'm guessing this brinkmann will still have the same issues.

Either way, will be waiting til the fall to see what goes on clearance. Target cleared out the 22.5 webers for ~$50, so I might just get another one of those!
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Friedturkeyspam

Name/Nickname : Mike

This looks similar and same price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-J...roduct+Reviews

Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

My Cdn Tire offset is an excellent storage bin, but I have promised myself to divine it's mysteries soon...

Good luck with your offset hunt!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylatinlover View Post
For that price I would go with the Oklahoma Joe they sell at Walmart. Its the same price but bigger and more than likely thicker steel.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oklahoma-J...Black/33605961
I was looking at the Oklahoma Joe at Wal-Mart just two days ago while waiting for an oil change to be done on my car and I'll have to say that it looked pretty good for a box store cooker! Good thick steel and well flanged around the lid!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
Hi All,

Noticed this bad boy online from a local hardware store. Just says offset smoker, but Brinkmann is the company. Model #855-4305-F for those interested. $269 CDN is what it is selling for.

So what do you all think? Looks like they upgraded their old offset smoker and gave it more of a "Lang" feel without the Lang price

Most likely will have the same quality as the previous brinkman, and most likely will require some mods as well. Only found one review so far that seems to confirm this.

Hopefully I have time this weekend to check it out in person if they have it on display and take some pics. Either way, I'll be waiting in the fall to see how far they'll be discounted before purchasing.
Nice looking little cooker, kinda reminds me of the old NB Hondo! Id be interested to see what the insides look like!

Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

looks like the cooking chamber is a lot shorter than the brinkman trailmaster I have. All in all my trailmaster has been a decent cooker for when i'm cooking a lot of food. definitely needed some mods to perform consistently.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote