MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I do all of my frying outside, too. Keeps the smell and the grease out of the house, and gives my neighbors another reason to think I am nuts.

I hate cooking rice - not the "minute in a bag" rice, but the real stuff. Its burnt or underdone almost every time. So, I let my wife make it now. There isn't much I "let" her cook.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Probably cooking a meal for the in-laws.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken paprikash.I usually make a double batch of dumplings and it takes forever to drop them by hand.I wish I had my moms old hand crank dumpling maker.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I would have to go with chicken parm. I pound out the chicken and bread em myself. That in itself makes a mess, then the frying. Which of course has to be done in a pan, no fry daddy for that operation. I dislike the grease smell. And if I am feeling real fishy I roll out my own pasta. Again, messy...
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
willowrun
Knows what a fatty is.

The cooking isn't the issue for me, it's that thing called cleanup afterwards that I hate.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

ABT's. My Wife wants me to make em for almost every social event. Not that i don't like cooking em, it's the prep that's the bummer. And I'm not talking about 10 or 15 peppers, she'll go buy a bag full...literally. It will fill up almost my entire offset and it's about six foot long.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love to cook, so I can't think of anything I'd 'hate' making. What I find to be kind of frustrating, though, is building the layers of spanikopita (spinach pie) because the phyllo dough has a tendency to tear, no matter how careful you are to keep it moist with a damp towel. I usually do about seven layers on the top, and another seven layers on the bottom, so there's lots of room for frustration.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I hate making the obligatory holiday hams. Everyone in my family likes when I take a precooked ham and put it in the smoker with a glaze. That is about as challenging as making a baloney sandwich but that is what they want, period.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I have been making a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake for about 10 years now. I used to love making them. Now I get it requested by some family member every time we have a meal. Recently, my wife has started giving them as gifts- for a future date. Probably made 15 of them between Thanksgvivng and Christmas last year.
I don't even like to eat them anymore. You know its bad when you don't want to eat cheesecake!!

Mike

Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

I imagine that the only meal that I would hate to cook would be my last meal!

Other than that, pretty much all cooking is good by me, which is not to be confused with, goodbye me.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Making pizza is starting to wear on me. It used to be an every Friday night thing, but we've slacked off a bit lately and the kids are NOT happy about it.

Since I make the dough from scratch every time there's the flour mess all over, the rise, more flour to roll out, and then there's slicing veg, sauce, cheese, bake....

The pie's only take about 7 or 8 minutes to actually cook, but it's a 2 hour deal it seems. Plus, we make several each time too.

It's become a real PIA. WHY did we stop just cooking frozen pizzas again?
Get the kids involved. If they are old enough to be unhappy about not getting good pizza then they are old enough to lend a hand.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

For me it's the meal that I have to rush to prepare.

I made chili a couple of weeks ago and considering the quantity I was making it ended up being a 2 hour affair between chopping all the veggies, browning the meat, etc.

I made Hungarian Goulash about a month ago that came out good however we had company that day and I felt rushed making in...just didn't enjoy the whole experience.

In general I also do not like making a recipe for the first time. It always takes longer than anticipated (even with all the ingredients) and some recipes are so time-sensative that it's easy to overcook something.

But besides I don't really have a recipe I don't like making...I do agree on the cleanup thing though.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I hate whine whine whine, can i have some cheese with that whine? (of course i jest ) I like everything I make, I just hate cleaning up!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #29
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default What meal do you hate to cook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
I hate whine whine whine, can i have some cheese with that whine? (of course i jest ) I like everything I make, I just hate cleaning up!
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating these chicken tenders. Probably the best I've ever had anywhere. But I do HATE making them. And I bitch and moan the whole time too!! Not that anyone in the house is listening, and nothing a shot of whiskey and a beer can't help with.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating these chicken tenders. Probably the best I've ever had anywhere. But I do HATE making them. And I bitch and moan the whole time too!! Not that anyone in the house is listening, and nothing a shot of whiskey and a beer can't help with.
I was just razing you. I hear ya. Maybe the family needs to barter some things for u to make them.....