MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Now I am one asking for help

I've been reading posts from Brethren asking for help for a long time, now its my turn. I am more of an organizer than a cooker but I got all caught up in this sport and built a UDS and a reverse flow smoker. Now a friend that owns a restaurant here in town wants me to smoke some briskets so he can have a brisket special on a Saturday night in a few weeks. I have smoked a couple for myself and the little lady but only one at a time and one was very dry so I am a little nervous. I don't want to mess this up and ruin all that meat. Therefore I am asking for some help from you pro's. I know this subject has been covered a hundred times and I have been searching past threads to get some ideas but could someone give me a breakdown of times and temps that I could use as a guide to pull this off. Thanks
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

How many briskets are you cooking? flats or packers?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Smoke them at around 250 for about 4-6 hours until the bark develops and gets the color you like, wrap them with a 1/4 cup of beef broth and worcestershire combo, and finish cooking for another couple of hours. You want to wrap about 160 internal and pull at a finishing temp around 185-190, or when your probe slides into the thickest part of the flat easily.

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

You are gonna get lots of responses on how to cook them, none of which are wrong. If you want a higher chance of success, locate some choice or better packers. Anything less and you are taking a chance on how it comes out regardless of how it's cooked. They are more expensive but worth it. I would also keep your rub fairly simple. BTW if you are gonna use beef broth don't use a lot, or else the customers will think they are eating pot roast.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

I say to call the HD to see if you can even legally cook them for a raunt and then your insurance company in the event that anyone might get sick.

Backyard is one thing but commercial cooking is a whole different Q.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
How many briskets are you cooking? flats or packers?
My friend has about 6 packers that he wants me to smoke.
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
My cooking blog

Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
gooose53
Full Fledged Farker

Inject and wrap with cherry coke or cheerwine when backyard said to.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
landarc

If you possibly can, you would be best preparing and cooking on site at his restaurant. That will take care of the regulations side of it all. In terms of cooking 6 packers, you almost certainly want to be on your reverse flow, I would say foiling is going to be your friend. It makes timing a lot easier and since you do not have practice cooking briskets, take the help where you can find it.

I would check and see if he picked up choice or select packers, it does really make a difference in terms of being assured of decent product. I would cook them in the manner in which you feel most comfortable. If you normally do butts, do them in a similar way, just remember you want to get to probe tender, not just to temperature. I would not hesitate to foil if you feel more comfortable that way.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Tuff Dawg
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I say Backyardchef has it spot on. But I think after you cook them just send one my way and I will give you my opinion on the taste.
Tuff Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
If you possibly can, you would be best preparing and cooking on site at his restaurant. That will take care of the regulations side of it all.
Not so fast on that one. Local Reg’s might require the smoker in the kitchen, NSF cooker, screened in - fenced in - covered cooking area, etc…

If your friend is willing to risk his business license…carry on. If he really is a friend, one of you (i.e., he) should call the HD. If someone gets sick on a cooker that is not legally authorized by the HD regs, you think the Ins company is gonna pay up???????

Good Luck in any event.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

It does vary from area to area. Some places are very tolerant and some will write fines on the spot and shut you down. As said, find out to save everyone from finding out the wrong way. The HD will generally like to help when asked ahead of time. All good advice above, I would wrap and cook until tender, then hold. When cooking for other people, what I see more than anything is not allowing time to rest the product, which will help final results.Steve
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you all for the information. This is why I love this web site. I have learned more from this site than the four years of college put together.

I guess everyone agrees that we should foil the briskets after a 4 to 6 hours so that will be part of the plan.

Landarc, which packer is better, choice or select? We plan to pull the smoker over to the restaurant when we do the cooking.

Teleking, we really don't have much of a problem with the HD because we don't have one. I think the closest HD to us is in Topeka about 80 miles north. I am sure they make the rounds and come to town now and then but I don't think we will have a problem. That is unless we poison a few people!
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
My cooking blog

Old 08-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
landarc

Choice is a better grade, has more fat and usually better taste. It makes it easier to succeed. You can make great brisket with a select grade brisket, just not as dependable.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]