MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Default Going thru Charlotte N.C next week?

Going thru Charlotte next week on my way to Edisto Island S.C. What's the best BBQ in Charlotte if you only had time to stop at 1? Mods please don't move. I posted in road trip and didn't get any responses.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Sorry, but we need to follow protocol with all of the threads and where they should be placed. I left a longer redirect so that it will still show up in QT, but it must be placed in the proper forum. No hard feelings, but we must apply the forum rules to everyone equally.

Thanks,

Mods
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Say hi to vinny!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

This is about the best in the charlotte area. http://www.macspeedshop.com/locations.html

I have eaten there a few times. The brisket and pulled pork are good. The Lake Norman location would be the best one for you to stop at and not far off the exit.
I-77S take exit 28 turn right then turn left at first light, Mac's is down on the right hand side.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Say hi to vinny!

Who's Vinny?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

I'll second Mac's Speedshop is your best bet really

http://www.macspeedshop.com/

Old Hickory House is good, but it's out of the way.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

We'll... I'm Vinny...

Now, I've only lived in the area for two months.. I tried Mac's Speed Shop in Cornelius (Lake Norman area) once so far... It was OK/good, nothing bad at all, but nothing memorable either.. TO be fair, I'd need to go back a second time before making final judgement...
Maybe the original one in Charlotte is better but I haven't tried it. There are other non-BBQ restaurants to spend your money at.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 09-04-2013 at 07:34 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

hey Vinny!!!
did you find any good, real authentic barbeque down there yet? if so please lay it on us! hope you are doing well and enjoying yourself down there!!!
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
hey Vinny!!!
did you find any good, real authentic barbeque down there yet? if so please lay it on us! hope you are doing well and enjoying yourself down there!!!
Thanks...going well.

I haven't searched much yet, but there's really not much here....

In the next month or so, I do plan to venture to Lexington about 30 min away to go to Monk's (aka Lexington BBQ # 1) and Cook's BBQ.... I was also recommeded to check out Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC and Bill Spoon's BBQ in Charlotte.

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Lexington BBQ is good, I haven't been there in a few years, it can get very crowded. I've eaten at Mac's in Charlotte also, it's about the same as Cornelius, not bad but it's good, I would eat there again. I've been down here 8 years and don't go out for BBQ much, since I've been doing my own. Never tried Bridges or Bill Spoons.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I've heard of spoons. Seen it on a few shows. Thanks to all that replied! Speed shop it is. Nice to meet you Vinny! I'll let you know how it was. Thanks to all again.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
Nugetsius

Sauceman's is in Charlotte. He was on BBQ Pitmasters. I think he won his episode also. I've never eaten there, but my neighbor told me he liked it.

Sauceman's
228 West Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28203
PH.704.333.7070
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleonard81 View Post
I've heard of spoons. Seen it on a few shows. Thanks to all that replied! Speed shop it is. Nice to meet you Vinny! I'll let you know how it was. Thanks to all again.

Mike - I went back to Mac's Speed Shop tonight for dinner with my wife and daughter... It was itching at me to give this place a second look.

In the end, I'd rate this a 6 and consider it average at best (from a BBQ perspective. I got the 4 meat sampler which I chose spare rib, brisket, pulled pork and texas BBQ sausage.

Brisket was a large chunk of about 1.5" thick x 8" or so long. It was not tender and had grill marks from the re-heat. Not enjoyable

Pulled pork was moist and vinegary but this was clearly from sitting in a reheat container. It was all brown, no hint of smoke. Only thing redeeming was a nice vinegar sauce.

Texas BBQ sausage was an all beef sausage. Not bad, but not the sausages that I ate on BBQ trips to Texas. A lot drier but somewhat flavorful.

St. Louis Spare - a bit tough but flavorful. Not really any smoke flavor but had smoke ring present in meat.

This is for a Saturday dinner service which should be their freshest.

Aside from the BBQ it's a cool -place in that there are a hot of Harley bike patrons, lots of TV's to see games and there were a few cute waitresses (others far from cute).

I think it's a cool place to watch a game, have a beer, wings etc and only eat the BBQ if you're not passionate about BBQ...

Truthfully, I'd save the trip and $ and go elsewhere.

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 09-07-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Of the 7 Q-joints that I've been to in Charlotte, Mac's has been the best - BUT, I've NOT tried "Sauceman's" or "Spoon's" (they were closed) yet!

In order from best to worst in my opinion - Mac's Speed Shop, Smokys Burnt End BBQ, Jim N Nicks, Bar-B-Q King Drive In, The Clock, Bodrick's Barbq Rib Tips, and Yorkmont Cafe.

I believe that "Ranucci's BBQ & Grill" next door in Belmont beats all those joints in Charlotte!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
brownkw

Best ribs in Charlotte, in my opinion, are at Queen City Q (http://www.queencityq.com/) (in uptown Charlotte off of 6th St.). Best brisket is at Midwood Smokehouse (http://www.midwoodsmokehouse.com/) over on Central Ave.