MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #31
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Right o q what are you talking about tired of the rust on a Weber I've had mine 18 years not one bit of rust it's uncovered all the time during winter in Ohio and some winter's you can't even see it because it's covered in 2 feet of snow not one bit of rust on it for 100 dollars I bet you can't name one other grill that can can out last a weber
That was me, not him. The plated steel grates Weber uses these days are not the same as the old school ones. Not everything is created equal, but the nice thing is they'll usually send you a new one if you ask nicely.

In terms of actual rust on a Weber cooker itself, I have a little rust on my 2002 Weber Kettle around the handle where it's welded to the lid, but that's about it. However, it's been around the block a few times.

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #32
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
That was me, not him.
Thanks. I got very confused and wondered if I typed something odd!

Love my webers. Will be getting a new kettle when my current grill finally rusts out. I've had 4 WSMs over the last 4 years and none of them have a spec of rust on them

Old 07-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #33
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
That was me, not him. The plated steel grates Weber uses these days are not the same as the old school ones. Not everything is created equal, but the nice thing is they'll usually send you a new one if you ask nicely.
I noticed the extra chamber I ordered from the replacement website is a bit lighter than the original. Not sure why but when I pick it empty, I can definitely tell the difference. The lid fits so no real complaints.
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #34
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

In terms of actual rust on a Weber cooker itself, I have a little rust on my 2002 Weber Kettle around the handle where it's welded to the lid, but that's about it. However, it's been around the block a few times.
I am thinking of buying these to replace the plated grates.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #35
bucko
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry about that I must have been confused just never heard anything bad about rusty Weber maybe very old ones but for the money they are great sorry about the confusion peace
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #36
weskeag
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Take a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker if you want a premade UDS. I have one, and in spite of my bounty of inexperience it has put out great food every time.
weskeag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #37
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
I am thinking of buying these to replace the plated grates.

https://www.amazon.com/Stronger-Desi...3FHR083QM5J58Y
Man, I hate those hinged grates. I have 3 of them and 3 non-hinged. I may have purchased them by accident but those things flex more than the non-hinged.

How about this?

Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #38
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I too have a Party Q. Talk about Lazy but it sure works well.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #39
dsp2
Full Fledged Farker

I lit my 15+ year old wsm at 7am on July 4. Put a 10 lb brisket on at 8am when the smoke was clear. Checked cooker temp a couple times then went to work at 9am.

Returned from work at 4pm. Cooker temp was at the same 275 as when I left it at 9am. Brisket came out great a couple hours later.

I've actually never tried a temp controller. Everyone who has them seems to love them. Also, I called home at one point and had my wife look at the cooker temp. Would have been cool if o could have seen that on my phone or whatever.

Wsms are incredible cookers.
dsp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 PM   #40
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

An 18" WSM was my first smoker and I had good success initially on it but for some reason as time went on, I could not get the temps to come up and stay up even after setting up the coals and the vents the same way. I finally got fed up with it and got a PBC. I still own this WSM and a 14" but neither have been used in about three years.

Your price range definitely limits what you can buy that will hold quite a bit of meat unless you can find something used somewhere.

If you are happy with the WSM, getting the 22" one may be what you are looking for.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #41
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Man, I hate those hinged grates. I have 3 of them and 3 non-hinged. I may have purchased them by accident but those things flex more than the non-hinged.

How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Grill-Gr...dp/B01MXILON2/
I am hoping the 304 steel rod construction will last better than the plated steel.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #42
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd just get another WSM.....
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandera, Hardware, new smoker