MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #7366
SwampassJ
Found some matches.

Progress so far.

SwampassJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #7367
SwampassJ
Found some matches.

Wow.... I did all of that work and an instant down pour hit. 3 minutes after getting it up onto the porch and it is already rusted over on the inside. Please tell me this is ok.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #7368
MenkeMoose
Found some matches.

OK Brothers, after reading through the first 350 pages of this thread, I decided I should finally build one and make my first post. Here's my newly built UDS.

Some spares in action. Made my own sauce similar to William's Spicy Apple Grillin' sauce (Sorry, no pics of the completed ribs). My family said these were the best ribs they've EVER tasted.
Many Thanks to all the Brethren who came before me and inspired me with this thread!

Moose
MenkeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #7369
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenkeMoose View Post
OK Brothers, after reading through the first 350 pages of this thread, I decided I should finally build one and make my first post. Here's my newly built UDS.

Some spares in action. Made my own sauce similar to William's Spicy Apple Grillin' sauce (Sorry, no pics of the completed ribs). My family said these were the best ribs they've EVER tasted.
Many Thanks to all the Brethren who came before me and inspired me with this thread!

Moose
Looks good!! If you haven't done it yet, make sure you season the inside so it dosen't rust anymore. Just spray some pam on the inside and let it go for a couple hrs @350-400. It will turn a nice black color.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #7370
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Wow.... I did all of that work and an instant down pour hit. 3 minutes after getting it up onto the porch and it is already rusted over on the inside. Please tell me this is ok.
I would sand it before you season it, to get the worst of the rust out. If it's not bad I would just season it.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #7371
MenkeMoose
Found some matches.

Actually, I think that's just some discoloration, not rust. I bought a new unlined drum from McMaster. It had a coating of what seemed to be mineral oil to keep it from rusting. I washed it out with tide and then sprayed it with pam. This was my first time heating it. It was dark out by the time I removed the meat so I'll have to take another look at it.
MenkeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #7372
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Burned out my drum today and started wire wheeling it...Am I missing a valuable tip in this thread about doing this?
Weed burner, or use a blower when doing the burn out. Make sure you have your bung holes cut, then hook up a shop vac to one - will turn the barrel into a blast furnace... Faster hotter burn.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #7373
SwampassJ
Found some matches.

Went out and got the majority of my parts today.

Lowes had 0 Expanded Metal and Home Depot only had square size. Going to try Ace tomorrow.

EDIT. Why not mix some beer making equipment left overs with the new smoker build.

I have a 15 gallon stock pot that came with a basket. It's pretty heavy gauge aluminum and already comes with a built in handle. Could I use this instead of trying to make a basket from expanded or will the direct heat from the coals and destroy it in a matter of months? (I don't care if it survives, I've never used the basket for anything.)

Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #7374
SkinnyVinny

Hi all, wow great thread..

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this needs to be sandblasted or not..

It looks like bare metal to me, but it hasn't rusted, and feels like there's an oily coating..

I'm about 99% sure its bare metal, but there's defintely some kind of greasy coating, that I believe washes off.. Anyone know what it might be?

This is pretty much the only thing i got to figure out before i can start smoking!
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #7375
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quick Question, i have a clay saucer in the UDS acting as a heat spreader. My first cooking grate is at 23 inches from the fire and the saucer is between the two.. I want to add a second grate to the UDS. Should it be above the first grate or should i put it below? If i wanted to add 2 more grates making a total of 3 cooking racks, would one go below the first(at 23 inches) or would both go above the first?

thanks.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #7376
DesMar
Knows what a fatty is.

Wash with a liquid dish soup and then, spray it with Pam and give it a few good seasoning, should be good to go. Unless it was used as a chemical drum. Then I would get a food grade drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post

It looks like bare metal to me, but it hasn't rusted, and feels like there's an oily coating..

I'm about 99% sure its bare metal, but there's defintely some kind of greasy coating, that I believe washes off.. Anyone know what it might be?

This is pretty much the only thing i got to figure out before i can start smoking!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #7377
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post

Looks good to me but frankly there is a general concensus on this thread that if you are in anyway unsure just burn it with a propane tank and weed burner. Won't cost you much and will give you peace of mind
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #7378
SkinnyVinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMar View Post
Wash with a liquid dish soup and then, spray it with Pam and give it a few good seasoning, should be good to go. Unless it was used as a chemical drum. Then I would get a food grade drum.
I was told it was used for tomato paste, although there is a sticker outside that says something about toulene

Might just get it sandblasted for the heck of it.
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #7379
moda253

edited for mistake
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #7380
moda253

I am so confused by this UDS. Not ripping it but I live in MN and cook when it's -10* and have never seen a difference. I've cooked in the rain. In high winds and have never shielded or insulated my UDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I actually built mine inside a larger, 85 gal drum that I use as a "shell":

There's another Brother here - Smokin' Joe - who did the same thing (I shigged his idea ) The biggest difference is his is insulated with rock wool and mine just uses the air gap as an insulator.

I can lay my hand on the outside of the drum anytime during a cook and just hold it there. It gets warm, but not hot enough to burn and the shell does a good job of keeping it from losing heat to the wind or rain.

The lid is still an issue. I haven't come up with a way to insulate the lid yet that I'm willing to try.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters too much though.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker