Turkey gizzards??

Delbridge11l

Reaction score
Hey guys. Last year I finally got a good turkey recipe
(best turkey I’ve ever had in my life)
Salt and brown sugar brine, inject butter and add smoke. What I’m wanting to work on this year is how do I go about cooking the gizzards and neck. I was planning on just adding them to the smoker but didn’t know if they should go the full cook or not. Should I dump them in some brine or add extra seasoning. What do you gizzard lovers do!!

The necks, gizzards, hearts, livers from chickens or the ones that come with turkeys, are turned into Chef's Treats. I toss em in a foil packet with a little beer, butter, and some Montreal seasoning. I let em cook down, then have those for myself. Or, if using for gravy, I smoke or indirect grill em and then chop em up for the gravy itself.

Bob

I boil the neck and any trimmings, extra fat globs, etc. for stock then pull the meat from the neck and cut into small pcs for the gravy or stuffing.
I pan fry the liver and gizzards (and heart if I get one) just till the liver is firm enough to chop, then chop it and the gizzards and add to my stuffing.
They aren't cooked to the point of being safe to eat yet, just in case you were tempted.
Then I'll use the stock for the stuffing.

Here is how I do chicken gizzards, it should work with turkey gizzards but might need more time. I have also heard of using a pressure cooker instead of simmering them.

DSC04462c.jpg

Trim any noticeable areas of gristle, rinse them and then soak in cold salted water for at least 15 minutes, but 30 minutes is better.

Meanwhile mix up your seasoned flour in a zipper bag. Go heavy on the seasonings.

Rinse the gizzards again in cold water, then add them to a pan of cold water and parboil them for about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.

Preheat some oil in a heavy bottom pan or deep fryer, shake the gizzards in the flour bag a few at a time and fry them until golden on all sides, then turn down the oil, cover the pan and cook 5 to 10 minutes more sampling one or two for tenderness you want. Drain them on a rack with newspaper underneath and you are there.

In reply to thirdeye,

We have a local restaurant that is known for their gizzards. They are super tender and delicious. I asked the owner how she gets them so tender and was told they peel the outer membrane off of the gizzards before frying them.
Talk about labor intensive! No wonder they're about twice the $$ of other local places, but they are worth every penny!

Yours look delicious, by the way!

In reply to thirdeye,

We have a local restaurant that is known for their gizzards. They are super tender and delicious. I asked the owner how she gets them so tender and was told they peel the outer membrane off of the gizzards before frying them.
Talk about labor intensive! No wonder they're about twice the $$ of other local places, but they are worth every penny!

Yours look delicious, by the way!

The former Kentucky Fried Chicken would pressure fry their gizzards but I haven't been to one in so long I don't know if they are still on the menu. We have one market with a chicken broaster that makes good gizzards but some of the best around here are found at the hot bar at truck stops.

The necks, gizzards, hearts, livers from chickens or the ones that come with turkeys, are turned into Chef's Treats. I toss em in a foil packet with a little beer, butter, and some Montreal seasoning. I let em cook down, then have those for myself. Or, if using for gravy, I smoke or indirect grill em and then chop em up for the gravy itself.

Bob

I concur. As for the inards, sprinkle with bbq seasoning you like, put them in to smoke with the turkey for 20ish minutes, then foil with a little hotsauce, bbq sauce or teriaki sauce and let cook another 15 or 20 for a nice snack. As for the neck, season with SPOG or saltier rub and slow smoke until done for seasoning meat in your beans or greens

I did the filet the little buggers (chicken) last time and they were fantastic! Just use your filet knife to slide the meaty morsel off the gristle season and pan fry.

Also saw a video of gizzards seasoned and in a crock pot with onions, mushrooms and chicken gravy. 1 hr on high, 4 to 5 hrs on low. Looked very tender and tasty.
Ed

some of the best around here are found at the hot bar at truck stops.

You're right!
I was coming home from a hunting trip to South Dakota a few years ago and stopped at a truck stop in the middle Nowhere, Iowa.
I bought some gizzards from the hot bar. They were great! One of my buddies asked how they were and I told him they were the best I'd ever had from a truck stop!

Through high school and college, I worked at a now gone grocery store. They would remove the packets with all the innards from the birds/chickens they would use to cook in the rotisserie. Most times, they put them in a foam tray and sell em for a couple bucks. When I had the chance, I'd buy the trays and take em home. My dad would make the best damn soup with em. Livers, necks, hearts, gizzards and all the regular soup veggies. Super cheap meal too.

Bob

Back