MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default For those who've tried Zankou Chicken in L.A.

Any one able to replicate this on the grill or Weber rotisserie? I ate some a few years ago while visiting my sister in the foothills and haven't found anything like that in Texas.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #2
ssuh
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've eaten Zankou dozens of times... it was a staple during my teen years. However, after a case of food poisoning, I've avoided it.

In anycase, it's an Armenian style rotisserie chicken that manages to have a crispy skin. Chicken seems brined, they probably just broil the skin once the meat is cooked. The white garlic paste sauce is probably what most people associate with Zankou.
ssuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

My favorite place for chicken (and shawarma). Even though I like replicating food from popular restaurants/chains I haven't tried cracking Zankou chicken. It's so good eating there that it's not worth the effort IMO. Of course different for you since you're in TX. Their shawarma is also off the hook. The cut they use is tri tip.

Moose came very close to cracking their garlic dip recipe and we planned on collaborating to break the formula but haven't really had time to.

The shawarma plate and you can see the garlic dip on the top left in the small container. That stuff if magical.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 AM   #4
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuh View Post
I've eaten Zankou dozens of times... it was a staple during my teen years. However, after a case of food poisoning, I've avoided it.

In anycase, it's an Armenian style rotisserie chicken that manages to have a crispy skin. Chicken seems brined, they probably just broil the skin once the meat is cooked. The white garlic paste sauce is probably what most people associate with Zankou.
Yes. Some locations suck. Due to a family feud, lawsuits that resulted from a double murder suicide committed by the owner IIRC. Terminal illness, cocaine addiction etc. It was a mess. They split the restaurants amongst each other through courts so they're run different. Glendale location is still excellent.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
wihint
is One Chatty Farker

The white garlic paste is a staple of many middle eastern cuisines. I take 2 cups of olive oil and pour it into the food processor with 1/4 cup of water and pulse it 12-15 times to get a frothy blend, then I add 25-30 pieces of garlic a little at a time as the food processor is running. Once it is smooth a creamy I mix in a little salt. I like it so it almost burns with garlic flavor. You can tweak the recipe as you need but this will get you in the ballpark.

Weber 22, Weber 22 OTG, Weber 16 and Kamado
wihint is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

I've had Zankou and Sevan Chicken and from what a family member told me, Sevan doesn't even do anything to their chickens. Just let the rotisserie do all the magic. Of course that could be a bluff like Aaron Franklin just using S&P on his briskets.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuh View Post
The white garlic paste sauce is probably what most people associate with Zankou.
So recreate the garlic paste and get some rotisserie chicken from Walmart? I'll settle for that!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
ssv3

Their garlic dip is different. A bunch of places have them but none come close. Pretty sure there is also some seasoning blend that goes on the chicken as well.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Moose came very close to cracking their garlic dip recipe and we planned on collaborating to break the formula but haven't really had time to.
Sako, a while back on Chowhound, it was revealed that one of the mystery ingredients in the Zankou garlic sauce was instant mashed potatoes, which at first didn't seem right to me, but after I tried it, it was right on! I've attached a pdf in case anyone wants to try it. Trader Joe's now sells a version which is also very good as well.

For me, the star at Zankou is their chicken shwarma wrapped in a pita smothered in extra garlic sauce, a meal I eat about once a week.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Sako, a while back on Chowhound, it was revealed that one of the mystery ingredients in the Zankou garlic sauce was instant mashed potatoes, which at first didn't seem right to me, but after I tried it, it was right on! I've attached a pdf in case anyone wants to try it. Trader Joe's now sells a version which is also very good as well.

For me, the star at Zankou is their chicken shwarma wrapped in a pita smothered in extra garlic sauce, a meal I eat about once a week.
And I just happen to have all of the ingredients at home....

Now for some sangak or barbari bread...yummmmm

Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
ssv3

Thanks Richard! I thought I saw potatoes searching online. Didn't know it was a recent discovery.

Going to give it a shot this weekend for the lamb TD cook.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

So the instant mash is to keep the paste together? I don't recall tasting anything potaotey but it has been 5 years...

Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
So the instant mash is to keep the paste together? I don't recall tasting anything potaotey but it has been 5 years...
I think the taters help to keep it together, but you can't taste them at all.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #14
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

I guess that makes sense. When I was eating it like cool whip, I knew I couldn't be eating just oil and garlic.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
J15491
On the road to being a farker

That actually looks like a great sauce/marinade (never heard of the place you guys are talking about, havent been in LA in about 20 year but i have a trip planned next summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post