MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket flavor??

I'm going to try my third brisket this weekend and I have a question about flavor. my first two came out like leather (issue #1) and tasted like pot roast. I HATE pot roast. is that what a brisket should taste like or should it taste closer to steak? I would really like to try and get it to taste more "beefy" or steakish if that is even possible. I just rubbed with salt and pepper on the first two, both of which were really small flats with no injections or liquids of any types (might explain the leather texture along with not cooking long enough ). I did foil for a while, would that cause it to be more pot roasty tasting?
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Start with a full packer, at least 10 lbs. Trim hard or discolored fat and meat (very little meat should come off). Salt an pepper rub is fine. Put rub on no more than an hour prior to throwing it on the pit. Salt based rub can draw moisture out of the brisket.

Smoke at 275-325 or even higher (hot and fast). When internal temp is around 165 to 170 place the brisket in a large foil pan and add enough beef broth to cover an inch or so of the bottom of the brisket.

From here you can cover the pan with foil OR leave it uncovered. If you cover it, it will cook faster. If you leave the foil off you will get a more prominent bark.

At an IT of around 200 start probing it for tenderness. The point will be tender the flat might need more time. Check every 30 minutes or so until the whole thing probes tender.

Take foil off and smoke for another 30 minutes or so until the bark tightens up. Finally, transfer covered or uncovered to a 200 degree oven until you are ready to serve it.

Took me about 5 packers until it started Turning out great. Beef broth will kick up that beefy flavor you crave. It is unlike pot roast or steak. It is just plain down beefy goodness. I'd take perfect brisket over anything other than a ribeye that I cook.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use foil and mine don't come out tasting like pot roast.

Salt and pepper rub is the Texas preferred rub according to what I've read.

You should cook your brisket to 165F then wrap in foil and take it to at least 190F - or until your temperature probe goes in like the brisket was made of butter.

I don't cook a lot of small flats though - so your mileage may vary. I've only ever cooked full packers.

I hope this helps.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have finally got my brisket to have a more beefy flavor using a variety of injections including beef stock/bouillon and even trying some beef marinades (strained so they don't clog the injector). I'd say give that a try.

For me no brisket will ever beat a good steak or even a mediocre steak. The flavor is just different.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
I'm going to try my third brisket this weekend and I have a question about flavor. my first two came out like leather (issue #1) and tasted like pot roast. I HATE pot roast. is that what a brisket should taste like or should it taste closer to steak? I would really like to try and get it to taste more "beefy" or steakish if that is even possible. I just rubbed with salt and pepper on the first two, both of which were really small flats with no injections or liquids of any types (might explain the leather texture along with not cooking long enough ). I did foil for a while, would that cause it to be more pot roasty tasting?
I'm right there with you. I've had two briskets that were pretty good according to what I've seen and been told here by the brethren. They were both very juicy, and tender. The second was even injected with beef bouillon. My brother loved them both. I thought they tasted roast beef. I've only ever seen brisket covered in sauce and other things all stuffed on a bun. :-/
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Bludawg

If you don't want it to taste like pot roast( not necessarily a bad thing I digress) don't foil it if it was like leather it was either a small piece of select flat with no fat cap or if it was a packer you didn't cook it long enough. Get a packer Cook between 275-325 no foil when it probes tender let it rest tented until the temp drops into the 150's. oh and slice against the grain.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
landarc

Brisket does not taste like steak, it should not taste like pot roast, unless you want pot roast, in which case, it makes a tasty pot roast.

If you must stick to flats, try and find a flat with a fat cap, that is a big help. Salt and pepper is fine, even preferred by some. I do not foil, I wrap in butcher paper, I do put a splash or two of liquid into the paper. I fold the paper up loosely and put back into the pit.

Foil or panning runs the risk of steaming or creating the 'pot roast' taste. No wrap or paper reduces that risk.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
mawil1013
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
Like I said to the other cook, it's gotta be a real packer cut , non frozen, at least a 1/4 fat cap all around.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

If you want real beefy taste, try to find a butcher who can get you a shoulder clod.

Steak is usually better than brisket but that is why it costs 4 times more.

The challenge of brisket is to try to coax tender beefy goodness out of a cut more suited for hamburger.

Last edited by jgh1204; 11-06-2012 at 05:43 PM..
jgh1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Requiem
Found some matches.

I agree that the beef flavor should come from the beef, not bouillon, though in some areas of the world there may be less beef taste (think about what pork has become in the US) but a well raised cow in a relatively natural environment, cooked correctly, has all the beef flavor you need.

I am also one of those that hates pot roast. But I have had brisket that is amazing cooked both ways (H&F and L&S). And I Have cooked the L&S way to do the same, I would say that the flavor is in meat choice, (pardon my partisan opinion, I come from a family of ranchers) buy meat that is worth it. Pay the extra dime or two a pound to get a good local rancher to give you meat to work with. They could use it and your meat will taste better.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree, a good cut of beef is important. The only time I've had brisket that tasted like pot roast was when I braised the s&*@ out of it by adding lots of liquid in the pan and covered w/foil. Thankfully those days are long gone.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sorry but I can't help you here. I have never had a brisket flat that was very good. The point, due to the higher fat content, is usually pretty good. My best briskets are turned into corned beef and then Pastrami... :)

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Requiem
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Sorry but I can't help you here. I have never had a brisket flat that was very good. The point, due to the higher fat content, is usually pretty good. My best briskets are turned into corned beef and then Pastrami... :)
*amn skippy
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds to me like your not "smoking" your brisket enough, brisket like smoke like no other meat.
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

^^I don't get that at all. Shouldn't have to mug a brisket with smoke to get it to turn out great.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote