Sunday Spinning Shenanigans - Lamb (w/ Pr0n)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Happy Sunday, Pharkers & Pharkettes!

I made it through 10 hours of overtime yesterday, so I finally opened my new Cajun Bandit 22.5 rotisserie kit that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

o6bgruml.jpg

The munchkin was quite thrilled to help me with the install job.

iBPQq5gl.jpg

Picked up a small boneless leg of lamb at Costco on Friday. Some incredibly nice sod sent me some Naturiffic Lamb seasoning (good Lord does this smell and taste good!).

3pydBo3l.jpg

As this is my maiden voyage, I'll gladly take any and all inputs on heat layout / timing vs. other indirect methods, etc. I'm planning to go with 300-350F indirect until she hits about 135F for carry-over into medium rare.

CINCHOUSE is planning to use the lamb drippin' for gravy over mashed potatoes and we'll whip up some Shaved Brussels Sprouts w/ Bacon - Link is to the recipe on NomNomPaleo.

More to follow after I go hit the grocery for a few bits & bobs...

Hope your Sunday is as fun as I think mine will be.

That looks like an awesome cook coming up. Tuned in. I've contemplated getting one of those rotisseries. Also, I miss when my kids were that age. Now I have teenagers who remind me of how wrong I am about everything. :-D

I didn't want my first cook on the bandit to be the lamb, so I grabbed a whole chicken from the store, halved it, and put it on the spinner.

Naturiffic Chicken Salt and Hot Wing Seasoning got the call.

2p4ututl.jpg

The halves of the bird were quite big, so I had to double them over (skin side out) to get them to stay close to the spit. - I'm obviously a rookie here - lessons learned and wisdom absolutely encouraged.

MCzgcTpl.jpg

ppQEFfel.jpg

I've got coals on two sides of my fire bricks (placed in the middle of the bottom of the kettle). No idea how well this will work, but we'll let her ride for a while.

Kids grow too fast! Seems like she was just crawling around. Good luck with the spinning adventures.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

After about 90 minutes on the move, the chicken temped at about 168 in multiple places.

2RWEI95l.jpg

CINCHOUSE and my helper were in dire need of lunch, so I cut up individual pieces, and we noshed.

ixlowHNl.jpg

This is easily the most juicy chicken I've ever cooked. The skin was almost bite-through, so I should've stoked the fire a little bit toward the end and run a touch hotter.

The flavor was good enough that the kiddo was singing its praises (she doesn't do that for proteins much these days) and The Boss said, "This is farkin' amazing!" I had very little to do with this, but owe John (SirPorkalot) for the help.

Ladies about to go down for a nap. Plotting out the course and timeline for the lamb, next.

Should I pull the net off the boned leg or should I just apply the rub over it/through it and roll? I'm leaning towards leaving it for the sake of keeping everything together (duh) on the spit.

I would leave the netting on because it is boneless and will keep it more uniform for an even cook. Can't wait for the final results!

I would leave the netting on because it is boneless and will keep it more uniform for an even cook.

That's what I'm thinking, but I might as well ask the the obvious questions early. :noidea:

This leg's only in the 3-3.5 lb range. Thoughts on timing for the cook? I've seen plenty of recipes and such that suggest 25-35 minutes at 350F.

I think I'll plan 45 min of cooking time and expect to be able to pull it to rest a touch early. Seems reasonable.

Watching in
With those forks you can skewer then take the netting off if you wish
the lamb will hold together.
usually its one piece
Your call, the netting handles the heat

Looking killer Marc! What Ron said on the leg of lamb and you need a basket to take your roti chicken/poultry to the next level. :nod:

Back