MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Vision Kamado owners...firebox troubles

Has anyone else had a problem with the firebox cracking? Mine did after 3 uses.
When I called the costumer service, they ask if I would send pictures, which I did. They then sent an email stating that the firebox is to hold fuel and is covered under a lifetime warranty. If it ever fails to hold fuel let them know.
Does this seem right to anyone?

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
hockeyfox
Knows what a fatty is.

hmmm...I bet on your next burn it may just crack into more than one piece and will require replacement. Is it a hairline crack...either way, it sure isn't going to get any better.
hockeyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

So they're not replacing it because it can technically still hold the fuel inside of it?
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
So they're not replacing it because it can technically still hold the fuel inside of it?

Yes. I thought it was a sleazy answer and told them it was unacceptable.

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon

Last edited by angryfish01; 11-25-2013 at 03:12 PM..
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

That's stingy of them to say that. What happens on a high heat cook and the firebox shatters and exposes the outer shell to high heat? Not a question to you, but to Vision.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Mine did that after second use.I freaked out too.Searched the net and found a post on a BGE forum I think.Said his egg's box was in mulitple pieces and still fine.Mine is still OK and hasn't cracked further.I posted pics about a year ago on here.If you think about it the box material and shell appear the same so I guess the shell could take the heat if the box broke in half during use.I was just going to wait until it broke in two before I try to get one from Vision.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Mine has hairline crack exactly like the one in the pic. Hasn't gotten any worse.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's mine.Still looks like it now just more black.http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=138798

Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

Sometimes people put JB Weld on them when they crack. I think it is a design flaw with the lack of expansion joints. I have seen many Egg fireboxes that are in multiple pcs, and they still work. BGE will replace them under warranty, and their new ones have expansion joints in them. No idea if those still crack though. I have a Kamado Joe and the fire box has not cracked yet, not saying it wont though, time will tell. I would think after taking it out and putting it back while doing a full cleaning will eventually destroy the cracked and broken ones.

Moral to the story, you could try JB Weld, or apply more pressure on Vision. But if they replace it with one just like you had before cracking, I would guess you will have the same problem again.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

While I don't have any cracks or hariline cracks on my firebowl that looks to be very minor so I wouldn't worry about. Vision already has your pic documented so if anything further happens you'll be covered. However If your not satisifed just tell them so and they will replace it. I had a small wobble issue with my firebox and made a shim for it and let them know and they're response was that if I still was not happy they will send me out a whole new bowl which I declined becuase it wasn't a big dealfor me after the fix.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote