WSM + Ique + high winds = a headache

Big slick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I am smoking 2 briskets for tomorrow and I have one brisket on each shelf. My Ique is cranked to 375 and the wind is whipping outside. I tried blocking the smoker with other grills but it's just too windy. The bottom vents are all closed and the top vent is open 50%. The briskets have been smoking for 3.5 hours and I want to make sure that they come out good. What can I do to raise the temp. Right now my maverick at the top grate reads 245 and the WSM reads 215. I would like to cook closer to 300. Any ideas???

If you have some extra ply wood you could build (or lean them together) a quick wind break (i've even used old cookie sheet pans leaned against the wsm's vents)... Once the wind isn't a factor any more crank open all the vents to 100% open. Pretty sure you'll get some other great ideas as well! Best of luck!

I just lit my UDS. I got the same wind you do. :) I swore at the wind a few times. I moved the smoker to the other side of the house, where the wind isn't as strong. And, I did what I saw someone one do, I put my chimney on the vent to create a stack. Held it there with a brick. I swear I saw someone do that on a weber. I just don't see how it would stay, so I must be crazy.

BTW, I don't think the iQ has anything to do with the problem. Wind is wind. But, Mine is inside a rubbermaid container, which keeps the wind from blowing over it. I'm sure it helps. If you haven't built a rainbox, see the video on the iQ website.

I'm just coming up to temp, so I'll have to tell you if it works.

When I had my IQ110 with my WSM and Keg I had a heck of a time with temps. After much time and experiments one thing was figured out and confirmed by the folks at Pitmaster, the more open the top vent the higher the temp will go.

My suggestion would be to open the top vent 75% see how it does or even 100%

My problems were the other way I couldnt keep temps down low enough even with vents closed.

I have never run one of my WSMs with the top (exhaust) vent anywhere other than wide open. I have a Guru on one & the other is running natural but they both have the exhaust wide open.

Are you using water or a dry pan?

What model 22" WSM do you have? I'm guessing you have the newer version with the arched doorway in the center section?

Lump or briqs and how much?

What type/brand of briqs?

What method of firing your pit did you use?

Did you bring it up to temp on its own or did you fire it off and let the ATC do the work?

With ATC's you just barely crack the dome vents. (at least with the Guru on my BGE's & 18" WSM's)

Do you have your controller set at 375* because you are trying to raise the temp or is that your target pit temp? { I see you are shooting for 300* } I have to ask!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1) First off, I would do all I could to use something for a windbreak.

2) Then I would close the lid vent almost closed but not all the way.

3) Open the door and let the temps rise without the ATC. Let the pit get up to @ 325 on its own then shut the door and resume cooking with your controller, (set for 300*) I'm fairly confident the temps will rise then drop to what you are looking for.

Don't FREAK OUT!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><

And next time take into consideration the weather conditions and be prepared to deal with it.

Use a dry pan.

Use a weed burner to fire off the charcoal, the whole ring until the edges ash over. Assemble the cooker and bring it past your target temp, because the temps will drop when you add the meats.

The big bullet holds a lot of charcoal and can take a long time to get up to temp using a Minion with a few briqs using an ATC. Consider a mix of lump and briqs.

I'll have to dig my bullets out of the trailer to take a pic of my magnetic door prop mod for the Gen2 22" WSM's.

Hope this help in some little way.

With that much meat, you probably should open up some of the other lower vents. When I try and run my 22.5 over 300 with the Guru I Need to run with the lower vents partially open.

Erik

To hell with all that fancy crap. Just move the whole thing into your wife's kitchen.

Back