MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ PitMaster question

I was watching last night and had a question. I know they say a Jambo pit is one of the best pits out but, one piece of wood really? someone explain this to me please? I use a stick burner and would never dream or using the amount of wood that Pellet Envy did?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

It's a fully insulated firebox, with a large stack on the other end, so it draws really smoothly, and is amazingly efficient. I watched Triggs manage a cook for 8 hours with a fire no bigger than Rod's........amazing stuff.

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ View Post
It's a fully insulated firebox, with a large stack on the other end, so it draws really smoothly, and is amazingly efficient. I watched Triggs manage a cook for 8 hours with a fire no bigger than Rod's........amazing stuff.
Thats AMAZING!!! I have some JAMBO ENVY!!! lol

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ View Post
Yep...

Most Jambo cooks use some charcoal to build a coal base and then one split every 45 minutes or so will hold it at 275-ish.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Andrew
On the road to being a farker

i have seen them work in person, very efficient pits, that insulated box is money
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
tx_hellraiser
Full Fledged Farker

I am going to buy me a Jambo One day
tx_hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

we typically start our fire with one chimney load of unlit lump, then add one load of hot lump. then a stick about every 45-60 minutes... we maybe go through 11 sticks in a comp cook.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow I want a nice cooker for strictly aesthetics I may get me a Jambo
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I do not have a stick burner so forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what temp does this process usually keep you at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
we typically start our fire with one chimney load of unlit lump, then add one load of hot lump. then a stick about every 45-60 minutes... we maybe go through 11 sticks in a comp cook.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I do not have a stick burner so forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what temp does this process usually keep you at?
It would depend on how large your fire was to begin with. A split every 45 min or so is simply to maintain what is already there. I keep my pit at around 250 normally but sometimes I'll go to 275 or 300.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
i have seen them work in person, very efficient pits, that insulated box is money
Yeah, there's a lot of pits with insulated boxes out there but most of them don't hold a candle to a Jambo! Jamie's got the design that works and even though I think that his pits are a little over priced he definitely puts them together better than anyone else. If I had the cash to spend, I wouldn't hesitate!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

+1 they're the bomb,for sure... I'd need to win the lottery, but IF I do, a nice Jambo is on my Christmas list...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
BaggerBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
If you are trying to cook at a specific temp, say 250 degrees for example, at what point do you throw on another stick? Do you wait until the temp drops to 245 degrees or something? Is there a certain point that you have in mind when you do this? I hope you don't mind me asking this.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
If you are trying to cook at a specific temp, say 250 degrees for example, at what point do you throw on another stick? Do you wait until the temp drops to 245 degrees or something? Is there a certain point that you have in mind when you do this? I hope you don't mind me asking this.
thats the thing that takes a little experience and time. i let mine get about 10 degrees, then i throw one on. or you can not wait and put a piece fairly close and it will slowly light.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
TalonBrew

What Andrew said.

To me it feels like fire control is more art than science. A few tips here and there and practice is what it takes. The practice is the fun part.