Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup

I've done it for Wings.
IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

I have a question for those who bury the chunks in the coals. Do you have a problem with bad smoke, as in not thin blue? I don't have a kettle, yet, but my dad has been performer that I would like to show him how to use. :) I know when I start my egg I throw the chunks on top and it takes a little while to get the thin blue.

There is not much difference in the way I use bricks, except that I use one that is broken on an angle.
Before I add lit coals
Bricks.jpg

After I added coals
Brickcoals.jpg

For long cooks, I use a ring of expanded metal, with one of the broken bricks as a spacer.
firering.jpg

I add 8 to 10 lit coals up next to the brick, you can kind of see them as light gray to the right of the brick. I have an old stainless steel pot without handles that I use as a drip pan in the middle.
I don't have a picture, but for quick and hot cooks I use the ring as a fire ring on steaks and such.

You know, since I have WSM's, I have simply never bothered to use my kettles for low and slow. However, I have been thinking about trying it lately. This thread is great for ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Question though...How many who have both a 26 and 22 inch kettle do this with the 22? Just curious is all.

Although I wasn't going for low and slow on this particular cook, this is my basic indirect setup. For low and slow, I use the Minion method, instead of all lit coals, but it looks just like this.

picture.php

CD

Half-ring method for me. I go 2-high for low & slow (250'ish), 3-high (like the photo below) for hotter-and-faster (300-325'ish).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Foil on the ring contains a combination of cherry, apple, and hickory woodchips. (foil on the lip is just a gasket, as my Silver don't seal too good.)

I may have to try that setup, interesting

It works pretty darned good with regular ol' K-blue, especially if you can get a tight seal (hence the gasket). I haven't tried anything like this with lump (as I would be there all day meticulously stacking charcoal :)

My only problem is ash, which isn't too bad with a double stack, but triple stacking I end up with a ton. Nowadays I'll grab a bag of Stubbs if I want to do a chuckie or some mock pulled pork on the kettle (like the pic above).

Nice!

Landarc, are those pics posted on your blog? I'd love to use them for reference for the readers of my blog. I don't cook on a kettle but a lot of people ask me about it and I'd love to have some pics/links to show them how to do it.

I've posted this before, but here goes.

On the charcoal grate goes a ring filled with briquettes and wood chips.
429d223c-ed32-2794.jpg

Then directly over that a pizza stone sits on the cooking grate.
429d223c-ee3b-4223.jpg

Then a 18" by 3" deep round cake pan sits on the stone. Inside the pan is a rack that sits about halfway up from the bottom of the pan.
429d223c-ef13-4d36.jpg

Then water goes in the pan, and the food goes on the rack.
429d223c-ef7e-0300.jpg

429d223c-f043-889e.jpg

That was two untrimmed racks of spares that I fit in there. So far I have only used it for ribs, but I see a brisket in the near future.

Smokenator all the way....

The Smokenator 1000 seems to do the trick for me. The only thing I do differently from the instructions is I do not use the included water pan, I use a meat loaf pan and set it on the cooking grate. This way I can move it so that the liquids don't boil dry so fast....

IMG_5243.jpg

Pictured is a 9lb Boston Butt I put on at 0500 hours this morning.

I see this thread is older but it has some good pics/ideas. What about air control for you all that bank coals on one side - esp on the Silvers with the 3 blade system? wouldn't it be best to only have air incoming thru the one on the coal side or has it not mattered? I just bent up a Pizza pan for a homemade smokenador that I wanna tryout this week but thinking I may add a spare air intake/damper to that side for smoking purposes and just keep the 3 blade system closed? :confused:

I like to build a wall with the wood I am using to smoke. The wood only burns where there are hot coals. I can reuse this set up mulitple times. The top one is with whiskey barrel slats and the bottom one is with oak pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_0159-001.JPG
    IMG_0159-001.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_0092-001.JPG
    IMG_0092-001.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,439
Like others, I've been using my Smokenator, without the water bowl, more often for LnS.
The amount of charcoal I use in it keeps the temperature consistent.

I have a question for those who bury the chunks in the coals. Do you have a problem with bad smoke, as in not thin blue? I don't have a kettle, yet, but my dad has been performer that I would like to show him how to use. :) I know when I start my egg I throw the chunks on top and it takes a little while to get the thin blue.
If you bury them and use some form of the Minion Method, they will heat up before igniting, decreasing the chance of getting "bad smoke".

If you really want to gain control you must control the air and direct it to the base of the fire so it is draw up and through it. I cover the unused portion of the coal grate with Foil and make sure it seals at the union of the grate and the body of the kettle.
Pictures012.jpg

Thanks for posting this thread, I'm seeing some really great ideas. Here is what I've used so far on my 26.75 OTG, similar to a lot of others.
006_zps62b6a6bc.jpg

I got a used 2" X 16" pizza pan from my local restaurant supply place cheap ($3.00). It works centered on the grate with a complete ring of charcoal but so far I've only used it as pictured, a 3-1/2 cook and had about 1/3 of the charcoal left over. I do like the CI ideas.

Edit-PS: I'll also just use a couple firebricks to split the grill surface when I want to smoke indirect for a while then do a direct reverse rear (chicken,steaks, tri-tip, etc.). I'll be adding Bludawg's technique for air control to this in the future!

Back