• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cleaning Ole Hickory

Rub

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What are you guys using to de-grease your racks and inside of your OHs and SPs? Anything the average Joe can pick up? I notice Greased Lightening is not approved for use inside cooking units. Simple Green is, but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

They have Simple Green in more potent formulas that are degreasers you may want to try.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Rub,

we rarely use a degreaser - because even if it says it's safe, I never trust the 'govt' to tell us the truth.

But when we do use this Oven cleaner - we wash, rinse, wash, rinse, repeat, repeat, etc.

We use this - and it works well - I get it at Sam's Club by me. and IT WORKS real well on the Ole Hickory Pits we have.

http://proforcecleaners.com/products/oven-grill-fryer-cleaner

and yes, it comes in gallons -
Cropped_OGF_3_Quarts-135x247.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Kurt,

yes, the gub - you know the guys who say this is wonderful and that is great for you to use --- then 25 yrs later they say, oops.

'Sorry, you really shouldn't use saccharin, red dye #xx or thalidomide.'

for my Southern Pride 700 I get yer good and hot, then power wash..most of it comes off..I dont like to use soap, as the good stuff is a mild acid, however once pr twice a year, I get a gal from Sysco, heavy duty pan cleaner and spray it down and the hard stuff just melts off.,..about 28 bucks a gal...this stuff also kicks the crud off pans that you use in smoker and your pans look like new with one simple spary...but use gloves......and RINSE...RINSE..RINSE and run your smoker a few hours empty with some pork scraps

Also call the guys that suck out grease traps. Chances are they will suck it out. Amazing what some brisket and pork will do.

Funny as it seems I use bilge cleaner as it is biodegradable and does not rust, then I hit it with my hot water pressure washer, cleans it right up :-D

Last edited:
What are you guys using to de-grease your racks and inside of your OHs and SPs? Anything the average Joe can pick up? I notice Greased Lightening is not approved for use inside cooking units. Simple Green is, but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped.

I'm thinking if you properly seasoned your pit there shouldnt be much clean-up inside except to scrape out the bottom once in a while. I have taken a hose and hot water to the inside but for the most part i wouldnt want to remove the seasoning i already have built up?

Back