• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I'm sorry Eatonhogg, I didnt realize it was you...I bought it at Van Buren Steel fabricators in Belleville mi, 48111

OK, thanks for the info. I bought my expanded metal at all metals inc. out in Adrian. Belleville is a lot closer, may try there next time.

fwiw, there is a 2" electrical conduit fitting that will screw right into the bung hole. I have had no problem with my 2" smoke stack.

I have had problems with my metal pipe nipples and caps - will nead to work on them. They rusted so bad I could not open them (cap rusted to nipple). I am not sure if I will just wire brush them and periodically coat them in oil, go to brass or galvanized. Right now they are simply a pita.

On the other hand, thinking about replacing them completely with a bbq guru.

A guru is a neat addition but otherwise I would just use sheet magnets or speaker magnets.

I have had problems with my metal pipe nipples and caps - will nead to work on them. They rusted so bad I could not open them (cap rusted to nipple). I am not sure if I will just wire brush them and periodically coat them in oil, go to brass or galvanized. Right now they are simply a pita.

I got the same issue with mine. I think I'll just put on a couple more valves.

Check price of ss nipples and caps vs valves 1st

Hey Rich,

After watching how steady the temps held after I got them to stabilize(even though they weren't as low as I would like), without having to do any adjusting Or fiddlin' around with anything, or addin fuel. I was already impressed to the point of selling the Diamondplate pit 60...Ran a sales add today...Just kiddin.
Crazy as it might sound..I like tending the big stick burner all day...Grab me a chair..Find some shade...Maybe a glass of iced tea...Throw a stick or two on every once in a while...Heck I guess I just like playing with fire! And then there's always you get to eat at the end...Even if your Que' don't turn out any good because you're just gettin' started learning your new pit, go ahead and eat it anyways...You don't really gotta' tell any body about it..:mrgreen:

Nice lookin drum!

That stainless steel hardware is costly, but I wouldn't want to chance with using anything else.

When you are ready to get rid of that DPP 60, let me know...:lol:

I just spray mine with a shot of cooking oil when I shut them down at the end of a cook. You have to shut them down tight as you can by hand. Three or more weeks with rain every week and no issues.

GEDC0027.jpg

Boy that's an ugly weld. You can tell I didn't prepare the metal well. just sticking to the theme.

I know pics, or did not happen, but seasoned drum Sunday and smoked a fatty in the process. It was great with biscuits and gravy! Ran 7 hours at around 225-235 for the season and only burned through maybe 5-6 lbs of charcoal. I was very impressed for the first run.

On the pipe or holes debate, does the pipe help with draw, or does it make much difference over just using the 2" bung hole in the lid? I ran with just an open bung in the lid, and noticed that when the wind kicked up, smoke would briefly come out the ball valve. Wondering if an exhaust pipe would help with this.

I think the main advantage to the holes rather than the pipe is putting a cover on the uds when you are done. The main advantage to the pipe is being able to cap it and keep water out w/o needing to put a cover on.

Thanks to a Brethren's tip I have found a source of lined but clean food grade drums with lids for $10 in the greater DC area.
PM me for details.

Dave

Just finished my drum smoker with a door for jiggling. I thought the door would be enough air flow but it shuts so tight it put's the charcoal out so I've added air holes with magnets and am now ready for a test run this weekend. Brisquit is on the menu 1/2 hour per pound at 220. This will be the second trial run for competition. By the way how does one become a farker as I have been called something similar many times.

Anybody know if that place in Riverside, CA still sells 55 gallon drums or is still in business? I tried their number and its been disconnected. Thanks.

Did my first cook today .....turned out well. Just the finished product had a hint of a bitter, almost metallic after taste..Anybody got any ideas?...Could it be the drum?...not seasoned properly or something....It was originally burned with pretty hot three hour burns....Then cleaned out with a wire wheel...wiped out...coated with veg. oil and burned for about 8 - 10 hours for seasoning at about 280...All hardware is stainless or black pipe...And the expanded metal is just raw steel.

017-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

Anybody know if that place in Riverside, CA still sells 55 gallon drums or is still in business? I tried their number and its been disconnected. Thanks.

I tried to get ahold of them the other day. Same thing. I bit the bullet and bought a new, unlined 30 gallon with removable lid and lever lock clamp band. Picked it up today from McMaster Carr. Some new member from Oceanside I think picked up some drums in LA area for a good price recently.

First post here, I've been reading this site non-stop for the past 2 days! I haven't gotten a thing done at work! My brother & I are going to take the plunge into making a couple of UDS for us.

Picking up 6 closed top unlined drums from the Craigslist guy out in Ontario tomorrow for $15/ea. He had open top ones, but he said those were lined.

Going to start simple & follow the instructions from this thread & we'll see where it goes from there.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread & on this site! We'll keep you updated on our progress. Wish us Luck!

See!

Did my first cook today .....turned out well. Just the finished product had a hint of a bitter, almost metallic after taste..Anybody got any ideas?...Could it be the drum?...not seasoned properly or something....It was originally burned with pretty hot three hour burns....Then cleaned out with a wire wheel...wiped out...coated with veg. oil and burned for about 8 - 10 hours for seasoning at about 280...All hardware is stainless or black pipe...And the expanded metal is just raw steel.

Take the crocs off and the taste will be better :eek:. It is probably something in the rub. What was in the rub?

BTW...All the food looks great.

Paprika
brown sugar
coarse salt
coarse black pepper
garlic powder
onoin powder
celery seed
cayenne pepper

Nver really noticed the bitterness before.

Firecrackerjack
Dpp 60...Still got it.
Chargriller pro....Gonna replace the coal trays and grates and use her for grillin.
And a new built UDS....:mrgreen:

Take the crocs off and the taste will be better :eek:. It is probably something in the rub. What was in the rub?

What kind of fuel did you use? Did you use lump? When I hear bitter I always think of my first smoke days when I'd strictly use wood and burn it too low of temp.

Just another dumb question...what are the "crocs"?

Those things on your feet. http://www.crocs.com/

You don't have any funny seasonings in your rub that I would recognize as causing a bad taste reaction. From what the others have posted in both the threads it sounds like you have a problem with the amount of smoke. I have never had that problem, so I can't be of help there.

Back