MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Que-Dawg
is One Chatty Farker

Default New Yorkers... Pastrami?????

You New Yorkers… OK same as the other NY post… but we both LOVE NY pastrami deli subs… How do I recreate these at home (preferably on the grill or smoker) topping and all……………..

Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

when u figure that one out.. let ME know.

lat pastrami I made was so salty it cured by stomach lining.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
when u figure that one out.. let ME know.

lat pastrami I made was so salty it cured by stomach lining.
I'm with Poobah. I have no clue how to make real pastrami. I am, however, soaking a store bought corned beef now to remove some of the salt and hope to smoke it tomorrow.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Here's a good read on the pastrami business in NY.

Ed Weinberg, noted on the second page of the article, is an acquaintance of mine who owns Empire National in Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. Ed is a third generation a pastrami purveyor (and other kosher meats) to many of the kosher deli's in NY.

If LI Brethren are intrested, I might possibly be able to arrange for a visit one day. Not sure if it's a top secret operation..

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

I did get some intel on this from an old deli man years ago, The corned beeves were cold smoked he said-What that translates to, I cannot say.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Take a packer seperate it, rub it with 6 tablespoons of TenderQuick, add some brown sugar, corriander, fresh cracked black pepper, and fresh ground cloves.

Cover with water for about 10 days turning every 2-3 days.

Put some salt, garlic powder and lot's of black pepper on it and smoke it till it hits about 160*

Finish it in the steam like the NY delis, til it hits 205* and let it sit in the firg over night...

Carve it up

and put on a sandwich!

But what do I know about Pastrami...I am from California!

Just dont be a putz like me, have the right bread! Who makes a pastarmi sandwich with white bread, onions and mayo!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Take a packer seperate it, rub it with 6 tablespoons of TenderQuick, add some brown sugar, corriander, fresh cracked black pepper, and fresh ground cloves.

Cover with water for about 10 days turning every 2-3 days.

Put some salt, garlic powder and lot's of black pepper on it and smoke it till it hits about 160*

Finish it in the steam like the NY delis, til it hits 205* and let it sit in the firg over night...

Carve it up

and put on a sandwich!

But what do I know about Pastrami...I am from California!

Just dont be a putz like me, have the right bread! Who makes a pastarmi sandwich with white bread, onions and mayo!
White bread or not, that looks awesome!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
BBQchef33

CLINT.. SOAK THAT SUCKER FOR AT LEAST 3 DAYS maybe 4. !!!!!

I soaked it for 2 full days plus some, changed the water 5-6 times a day, and it was still way to salty. I have about half left(gave the other half to the MIL) im going to steam it tomorrow to see if it kills some of the saltiness.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

If anyone figures out the slatiness thing, let me know. I love pastrami, but dang...I'm with poohbah on this one. Last one pickled me I think.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
BBQchef33

Willie says to keep trying different brands. some are worse(saltier) than others. He found one that worked right out of the wrapper.. have to ask him which one it was. Also, several articles I read said to steam it to 200 after smoking to 165. That may get rid of some of the salt too.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #11
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

First ever attempt at pastrami using the technique from Thirdeye's site.

Started soaking a 4 pounder on Wednesday changing the water every 12 hours. Friday night, put on the seasonings and wrapped with plastic. Waiting for the sun to come up to fire up the cooker. Will know later today if we hit pay dirt!

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
barfly
Full Fledged Farker

This from Charcuterie, (Ruhlman/Pocyn),

Brine
1 gallon water1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
8 teaspoons pink salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice, (store bought's fine)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
5 cloves garlic minced

Combine ingredients and bring to simmer, let cool and refridgerate. When cold, pour brine over 5 lb. first cut, (flat), cover loosely and refrigerate for 3 days. remove from brine, rinse, (no soak needed), rub with pepper/coriander & any whatever else you like and smoke at 225-250 until 175 internal.

this is paraphrased but you get the gist.. I've done 4 or 5 this way and the results vary with the roast, amount of smoke, etc but is better than any store bought pastrami that I've had. As Bently has shown with his outstanding pron, I steam until tender, (credit thirdeye for showing this on his site).
22 in. weber kettle
Large BGE
barfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Do NOT skip this step!!!

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

I have made a few pastrami over the last couple of years. The best recipe I have found is at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html. I think it's much easier to work with a dry cure at home. The only problem I have had is that once the cure had not gone all the way thru but that mainly effected the evenness of the color and not flavor or texture. People who have eaten "real" pastrami all their life think it's great ( that or they been away from NYC so long they don't remember what real pastrami tastes like...) Using a store bought corned beef gives ok results, but not nearly as good as what you get if you do the process yourself.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
I have made a few pastrami over the last couple of years. The best recipe I have found is at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html. I think it's much easier to work with a dry cure at home. The only problem I have had is that once the cure had not gone all the way thru but that mainly effected the evenness of the color and not flavor or texture. People who have eaten "real" pastrami all their life think it's great ( that or they been away from NYC so long they don't remember what real pastrami tastes like...) Using a store bought corned beef gives ok results, but not nearly as good as what you get if you do the process yourself.
I've used this method with great results...
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pastrami