Set up for Backyard participants?

NazBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I’m a KCBS judge that’s cooking in my first contest next month (backyard) and I had a few questions about the set up. I’m familiar with the process/schedule for KCBS teams, but I’m not finding any info for backyard. I’m trying to get my gear (and schedule) lined up and I’m not getting any response from the contest rep. I realize not all contests are the same, but I figured you all might have some general ideas.

Do the backyard competitors typically get the same allotted tent space as KCBS teams?

Do the backyard competitors typically have meat inspection Friday night with the KCBS teams?

Are the backyard teams typically required to attend the cooks meeting on Friday night?

Any input would be helpful!

Thanks!

How many contests have you been to and judged?

The answers to your questions are:

1. Usually smaller
2. Yes
3. Yes

I've judged about 15. I have not spent much time around the cook sites though.

I’m a KCBS judge that’s cooking in my first contest next month (backyard) and I had a few questions about the set up. I’m familiar with the process/schedule for KCBS teams, but I’m not finding any info for backyard. I’m trying to get my gear (and schedule) lined up and I’m not getting any response from the contest rep. I realize not all contests are the same, but I figured you all might have some general ideas.

Do the backyard competitors typically get the same allotted tent space as KCBS teams?

Do the backyard competitors typically have meat inspection Friday night with the KCBS teams?

Are the backyard teams typically required to attend the cooks meeting on Friday night?

Any input would be helpful!

Thanks!

1. Space size is up to the comp organizer, so it's hard to answer that.

2. Meat inspection is up to the organizer. Most events that I have been to with a backyard category has those teams arriving on Saturday morning so their meat is not inspected with the KCBS teams, if inspected at all.

3. I have never seen backyard teams at the same cooks meeting as the KCBS team in any competition i have been to.

I've judged about 15. I have not spent much time around the cook sites though.

I've let this lay for a few days....

This was my point when I asked how many contests you had been to.

While I don't understand why you'd get certified, show up to a contest and never or rarely "spend much time around the cooksites", I'll work with ya.

I would suggest you start trying to mingle with the teams. We aren't going to bite. While KCBS prohibits you from saying anything other than 'Uhhh huh' and 'Good Morning' when you walk through on Saturday morning, you are free and clear to come by Friday and after eating....I mean judging on Saturday.

You can even help clean up and wash dishes and pack all the crap up. :wink:

Seriously....I just don't understand not walking through and taking notice of what goes on at an event you are participating in. I've never judged, not a CBJ...but I'm curious as to what goes on in the judging tent. Not just the eating and scoring, but the handling of the boxes and everything else from the time I drop it on the table.

I would suggest you start trying to mingle with the teams. We aren't going to bite. While KCBS prohibits you from saying anything other than 'Uhhh huh' and 'Good Morning' when you walk through on Saturday morning, you are free and clear to come by Friday and after eating....I mean judging on Saturday.

Good suggestion.

We love to talk to judges, especially after judging is over. Hearing the impressions, what they liked/didn't like, or just talking about bbq in general. I suspect most teams are the same.

Good suggestions. Thanks for the input. I always cut out right after judging because I never saw myself cooking or had much interest in it. Had I known I would've done things differently.

Yeah I really like talking with the judges after turn ins. A lot more had been stopping in at the end of last year and if I see one walk by I try and grab them. It is great to pick their brains and talk BBQ in general.

i cook backyard and spaces are pretty much always smaller, meat inspection is at the same time and cooks meeting is for pros and backyards at every contest i have ever been to...

Back