Char-Griller 980 question

11earl

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Considering the purchase of a CG 980. I'd like it to replace my 18" WSM and 22" Weber grill. I would keep my Weber propane grill for quick winter cooks.

The kettle allows a great indirect/direct cooking set up. Can this still be managed on the CG 980 by simply cooking at a low temp, taking the protein off the grill, then cranking the temp up for the final sear?

I just picked up the Masterbuilt 1050 & had the same exact question as you. Yes you can, I've done a couple of cooks where I reverse sear by cooking at around 275 then take the protein off to crank the heat to 650 for a final sear. The only thing is that the sear is caused by hot air not open flames so it is more of a convection oven than cooking over a kettle with exposed coals, similar end result while technically different environment.

Another thing is that I looked at both the Chargriller & MB but decided on the MB even with the supposed lesser build quality because it will get flames roaring out of the manifold for a better sear than what I saw from the CG 980, just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

The pic below is of my first cook, steak tips done at about 500 on the MB. In retrospect I should have gone hotter & left the lid open to just sear them off but they still came out great.

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_232803400.jpg
    PXL_20210805_232803400.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi there,

Considering the purchase of a CG 980. I'd like it to replace my 18" WSM and 22" Weber grill. I would keep my Weber propane grill for quick winter cooks.

The kettle allows a great indirect/direct cooking set up. Can this still be managed on the CG 980 by simply cooking at a low temp, taking the protein off the grill, then cranking the temp up for the final sear?

What I’ve done on my CG 980 since they come with porcelain coated grates, is to use a cast iron searing plate. I’ll already have the searing plate inside the CG 980 while I’m doing the low and slow stuff so that it’ll be easier to bring it up to temp later. Once my steaks or Tri-Tips are ready to sear, I’ll turn the grill up to 650* degrees and use the turbo fan feature to get too the desired higher temperature much quicker. I’ll coat the searing plate with some oil or non stick spray and once at 650* degrees, I’ll place my steaks or Tri-Tips on the cast iron searing plate to sear. It does work very well, but if I had to choose, I do prefer the direct flame effect a tad bit better. To your question though, is the CG 980 capable of being a great low and slow smoker and then sear a few steaks in a pinch? My answer is a strong Yes… FYI… Also at the moment, most Lowe’s hardware stores have the CG 980’s on their late/end of Summer clearance sale for as low as $540.00.. Definitely worth checking out and good luck on your decision.

GREAT tip on both the cast iron skillet and the Lowe's tip - here in MA we have a tax free weekend so I guess I'll go today!

GREAT tip on both the cast iron skillet and the Lowe's tip - here in MA we have a tax free weekend so I guess I'll go today!

FYI.. Lowe’s will also assemble and deliver the CG 980 to your residence for free. If you do get one, make sure you go give the grill a thorough inspection. There is a rubber flap where the ash bin is located. It’s to protect the fan that feeds air to the charcoals. Make sure the flap is able to move freely and check the electrical wire that powers the fan is seated correctly in its housing. It’s on the upper left hand side where the rubber flap is located… Not very hard to do and doing so will help to keep the flap from burning prematurely. Lastly, if you do decide to place wood chunks in the ash bin on your bbq cooks, make sure you place just a few wood chunks in the ash bin and place them on the opposite side, away from the rubber flap. Just added protection and a part of just learning and figuring out your new bbq equipment. Good luck and enjoy.

What I’ve done on my CG 980 since they come with porcelain coated grates, is to use a cast iron searing plate. I’ll already have the searing plate inside the CG 980 while I’m doing the low and slow stuff so that it’ll be easier to bring it up to temp later. Once my steaks or Tri-Tips are ready to sear, I’ll turn the grill up to 650* degrees and use the turbo fan feature to get too the desired higher temperature much quicker. I’ll coat the searing plate with some oil or non stick spray and once at 650* degrees, I’ll place my steaks or Tri-Tips on the cast iron searing plate to sear. It does work very well, but if I had to choose, I do prefer the direct flame effect a tad bit better. To your question though, is the CG 980 capable of being a great low and slow smoker and then sear a few steaks in a pinch? My answer is a strong Yes… FYI… Also at the moment, most Lowe’s hardware stores have the CG 980’s on their late/end of Summer clearance sale for as low as $540.00.. Definitely worth checking out and good luck on your decision.

FYI.. Lowe’s will also assemble and deliver the CG 980 to your residence for free. If you do get one, make sure you go give the grill a thorough inspection. There is a rubber flap where the ash bin is located. It’s to protect the fan that feeds air to the charcoals. Make sure the flap is able to move freely and check the electrical wire that powers the fan is seated correctly in its housing. It’s on the upper left hand side where the rubber flap is located… Not very hard to do and doing so will help to keep the flap from burning prematurely. Lastly, if you do decide to place wood chunks in the ash bin on your bbq cooks, make sure you place just a few wood chunks in the ash bin and place them on the opposite side, away from the rubber flap. Just added protection and a part of just learning and figuring out your new bbq equipment. Good luck and enjoy.

Good tip, thanks - I was actually thinking of not having them assemble as I'm a bit concerned they won't take much care when putting it together. I guess I'll make the final decision when I'm there.

Good luck finding any in stock at Lowe's, I checked Brickseek & didn't find any in NH or Maine, didn't check Mass though so hopefully you luck out.

Good luck finding any in stock at Lowe's, I checked Brickseek & didn't find any in NH or Maine, didn't check Mass though so hopefully you luck out.

Well, they'll take an order for one, no? I don't mind if I'm not able to carry it out with me.

Yes, the site says that they can be ordered & delivered to the store in about a week. I'm not sure that you'd get the discounted price though?

Just checked & listed for $599 on Lowe’s site. Honestly I paid full price for my MB 1050 a few weeks ago at Home Depot while Walmart had them listed for $647 on close out because I was able to find a store that them in stock & was able to go through the box to make sure that it wasn’t dented. Sure enough the first one that I checked was damaged in the box from shipping or mishandled at the store, took two tries to get a good one. I’d rather pay a little more than deal with returning a dented or damaged grill.

Just checked & listed for $599 on Lowe’s site. Honestly I paid full price for my MB 1050 a few weeks ago at Home Depot while Walmart had them listed for $647 on close out because I was able to find a store that them in stock & was able to go through the box to make sure that it wasn’t dented. Sure enough the first one that I checked was damaged in the box from shipping or mishandled at the store, took two tries to get a good one. I’d rather pay a little more than deal with returning a dented or damaged grill.

I agree. I purchased mine at Home Depot for full price. I didn’t see it until I got home, but the box was damaged. The charcoal chute gage was dented really bad. I had to pound it back into shape to assemble. I did contact MB and filed a claim. The new cage was sent quickly. It’s still sitting in the box in my garage. MB’s CS was quick and friendly.

Back