• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brine your Butt

bottomsupbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking about smoking a pork butt this weekend. I have never brined a butt before and am currios about the results. Anyone have a good brine recipe for a pork butt?

Sorry, no can do.
I never brine my butts, nor could I imagine why you would want to.

May I ask, what would be the purpose in brining a butt?

Im thinking the main reason for brining is to add moisture to the meat. Butts have sooo much dang fat that they have enough moisture they do not need a brine.

bottomsup, like the previous posters, I would wonder how a brine would benefit. What are you trying to accomplish? Injecting might accomplish more of what you are looking for. Just throwing out something to discuss.

You can always trust Alton, he's the man. Was thinkin about that as a guide for my first butt as well...

Alton Brown does have more knowledge than almost anyone I've ever met. Maybe it'll be good. Worst case, you still have pulled pork to eat.

Keep us posted on this. I've never brined butts either, but Alton is the MAN! I saw the episode where he brined a shoulder. Always wondered.

I'd love to see the results.

Keep on-a cookin!

I brine, and won't ever do a butt without a good salt, sugar, molasses dunk. I've always had excellent results. I overnight it in the for a 8 - 10 butt.

I use quarter cup sugar, quarter cup Kosher salt, a shot or two of the molasses, thrown in a bay leaf occassionaly..... sometimes add garlic cloves....

The evidence is when you bring your butt to the party, and there's some already there.... and you don't have any to take home after everyone finds out that yours has a better flavor and it's all gone.

Go try it and report back.

RMR

I brine, and won't ever do a butt without a good salt, sugar, molasses dunk. I've always had excellent results. I overnight it in the for a 8 - 10 butt.

I use quarter cup sugar, quarter cup Kosher salt, a shot or two of the molasses, thrown in a bay leaf occassionaly..... sometimes add garlic cloves....

The evidence is when you bring your butt to the party, and there's some already there.... and you don't have any to take home after everyone finds out that yours has a better flavor and it's all gone.

Go try it and report back.

RMR

Do you get alot of that flavor all the way through the meat, or is it more of a bark thing? And how long do you brine for?

Keep in mind, brining isn't just adding moisture, it will add flavor, deep into the meat.

I don't brine butts, but I do inject them with brine. Let them sit overnight before smoking.

Smokin
(Author: Brining 101)

Somebody injected their butt with a spiced beef broth and I thought I would try that tomorrow but I can't really see brining a butt. Maybe- but not tomorrow!

Never had heard of brining a butt - may try next time just to see.

I always use AB's brine. Do a side by side comparison(they are cheap enough) and compare.

Paul

I have never brined a butt, I’ve never seen a need to. I’ve never had one dry out and I love the taste of pork….just the way it is.
But like the others say I trust Alton almost implicitly
He’s never steered me wrong. So it couldn't be bad.

Back