MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Organic Chicken observations with PR0N

There are a few threads going on about the merits of Organic, or Free Range, Chicken. With some of the comments I was inclined to cook one of these birds and see for myself. Let's start with the ingredients. One chicken, Montreal chicken rub and some EVOO.

The price is what always steered me away from this, but non-withholding to my better judgement I took the plunge. This is no cheap bird......

A few observations. The packaging was far superior to anything the store does. The chicken was packaged in a durable tray and vacuum sealed in a heavy duty plastic. Now worries of this one leaking all over the grocery cart. It had a whiter skin and the smell I usually get from ordinary chicken was not present. It was also trussed very nicely so little to no pre-rub preparation. So far I'm impressed...........

I chose to cook indirect over some KBB on my Performer at 325*. And pull it at 160* breast and 170* thigh IT. Has a great color and smells fabulous.

Off the grill tented and rested for 10 minutes and then sliced. Not really going for a plate shot here. The aroma was vastly different than I am used to. There was far less juice than normal but everything was very tender and the wings and drums pulled right off.

Conclusions: While this bird has some definite pluses in packaging, appearance and aroma the discerning factor is taste. The comments I read had mostly talked about how the taste and flavor was vastly superior to regular chicken. My wife and I had dinner and concurred...........Nice try but no cigar. It was drier, which could be remedied with a brine, I think. However I cooked this like I have many other chickens with no brine. The flavor was not that different to get me to pay more for an Organic chicken. Unlike the difference in beef, were I will pay more for a choice cut, this doesn't fit into that category.

Bottom Line

Find good chicken on sale and enjoy. This is not worth the money.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
2000milesofsmoke
On the road to being a farker

Looks good. Did I see $4.49/lb? Out of curiosity what does chicken regularly cost in your area.
2000milesofsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

great thread! Thanks for the review on the organic chicken.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you!!! Was the skin bite-through?
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000milesofsmoke View Post
Looks good. Did I see $4.49/lb? Out of curiosity what does chicken regularly cost in your area.
Depending on the sales. I can get thighs for $1.00 to a $1.50 a pound in a 10# bag. Whole chickens usually run about $2.50/lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepElemCue View Post
Thank you!!! Was the skin bite-through?
Yes the skin was very bite through. The absence of the fat would do this as I expected.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great synopses! I have often wondered about those birds.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for saving me the time and expenses of doing my own test comparison. It was on my list this week.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

This seems like a good deal to me. May have to give them a try.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=739586
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
SmittyJonz

Chicken ain't worth more than $1.99/lb or I'll buy real meat.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
leanza
Babbling Farker

Pricey for sure. Nice looking cook.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
landarc

Nice cook, the bird looked great.

The chickens I have been buying have been pasture raised, no idea if organic or not. Not cheap at all. My experience has been they taste better, smell better and cook up better than the supermarket chickens do. Never thought they were drier at all.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
unzippy
Full Fledged Farker

No point injecting or brining cheap chicken - it's already been injected with growth hormones, antibiotics and other terrible stuff.
unzippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Phubar

Oh yeah...that looks good!

More expensive chicken from the wholesalestore over here costs about 15 euro's...instead of 5 euro's.
The 5 euro one tastes cheap compaired to the more expensive one.
Most of "us" buy the cheap watered down chicken...I'll prep it and eat it but it's not the same as the more expensive one.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Depending on the sales. I can get thighs for $1.00 to a $1.50 a pound in a 10# bag. Whole chickens usually run about $2.50/lb.

Yes the skin was very bite through. The absence of the fat would do this as I expected.
do you have a Hyvee by you? their birds are around $0.88/lb, or Costco has them for $0.99.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzippy View Post
No point injecting or brining cheap chicken - it's already been injected with growth hormones, antibiotics and other terrible stuff.

Thanks for the review! I've also been thinking about trying one. We always get a fresh organic turkey for Thanksgiving, and we can taste a huge difference (also seemingly a lot less fat) than the regular butterball variety, but I have always been wondering about the organic chickens.

The ones we buy at Kroger/King Soopers are always Foster Farms All Natural. They are pretty good but not spectacular by any means (but only $1.49/lb not on sale). The thing is that all chickens can be considered "all natural" and still have some type of crappy injection/brine in them. It's been illegal for a very long time to give chickens hormones or such.

Here's one of those Foster Farms "all natural" ones I did last night, along with some "all natural" turkey legs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chicken & Turkey Legs2.jpg (59.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Chicken & Turkey Legs Pulled.jpg (88.4 KB, 69 views)