MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Pulled pork on the menu for Saturday!

Got a pork butt thawing - forgot to take it out on Wednesday! I usually pull the meat out of the freezer a couple of days before I need to season it so now I'll have to leave it out and hope it thaws enough to cook tomorrow.

Of course I have the "take the cats to the vet" mod going tomorrow. The old queen (17) for stitch removal and followup and the son (15) for shots. Should be a hoot. Neither one of the cats are "vet friendly"

While the fire's getting hot I'll be splitting some firewood, too. I've finally started using mostly wood after the first minion charcoal load. Unless I have to really get the heat up in a hurry (like taking too much time at Lowe's :D) adding a couple small pieces of wood keeps things nicely on track. The oak sure does make the neighborhood smell good!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Solidkick

Progress report? (mouth watering)

I can't seem to get enough pulled pork lately. I ate all that was in the freezer, and ate at Bandana's twice this week.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
colt45
Full Fledged Farker

pulled pork is probably my favorite dish as well solid... damn I love that stuff... brisket is probably tied for the lead though...

colt
Currently without a Chapter
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
chad

The pork turned out well and no blood was shed at the vet's! :D

Used the ECB today since I knew I'd be running around. Internal temp was 34 degrees when I started cooking about 9:45.

Wrapped the butt at about 165 and took it up to 195 before pulling it and putting it in the cooler about 4:30 or so. Had to "pull" while it was pretty hot since the sons had a movie time to make. So unwrapped the meat and pulled it about 6pm.

Turned out really nice and moist. I even used some Dante's Raspberry Chipotle sauce tonight!! We also about killed the Dreamland so it's about time to make an order.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 03-28-2004, 01:00 AM   #5
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Sounds good David

I love relying on ole ECB when on vacation.

you just can't beat a cooker that cost $30 and can turn out one hell of a product

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
TedWagner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've seen in a few posts that people take their pork butt and/or loin up to a pretty high temp, like David going up to 195. I would think a loin especially would become very dry. Even if you're mopping, why take the pork up so high?
TedWagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're generally correct about a loin because of its leanness, but they're still pretty damn moist. ChiBill does a great one - superb smothered in Dreamland. A loin done to 160 internal (i think that's the done temp, maybe 170) will be juicy but I think a tad tougher than one brought to the fall apart tender temperature of 195. Butts and shoulder picnics because of their fat content can easily take 195 internal without rendering a hint of dryness. Try pulling a butt at 180, then one at 195. It's a world of difference.

Old 03-31-2004, 07:10 AM   #8
parrothead

Quote:
Try pulling a butt at 180, then one at 195. It's a world of difference.
Then go to 205. yeehah! shredalicious!

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2004, 07:36 AM   #9
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

When Chi-town Bill takes a pork loin up to around 200, he foils around 165. After sitting in a cooler for a while to allow the juices to redistribute, it is unbelievable juicy and tender. Talking from experience here. I tried Bill's method and ended up with a couple of inches of the juice in the bottom of the cooler.
Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
david
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll second the 205 for a butt. It just falls apart when you lift it out of the bandera.

Quote:
Chi-town Bill takes a pork loin up to around 200
Has Bill ever actually posted how he does this?
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm sure he will enlighten shortly, probably on the terlett

Old 03-31-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

REcipe Section under pork

MAde it a post so people could print.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2004, 05:59 AM   #13
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I cooked a loin per Bill's short instructions last weekend, wrap at 160 took it up to 200 (only meant to go to 190 but it happened pretty fast) brought it in let it cool in the foil and hour or so, sampled a couple of slices with ribs sunday night, bagged the rest and put it in the frige, saved that wonderful juice too.

Yesterday afternoon about 2:30p put the juice and loin into the crock pot on low. Took it out about 6:00p let it rest for 15 mins while I got rest of dinner ready. Couldn't believe how that loin sucked up that juice. So tender, so smoky, and still firm enough to make nice thin slices.

I took about a half cup of that juice and put it in a small skillet and reduced it to, well syrup about a Tbsp or two then added remnants of a couple sauce bottles in the frige (about 3/4c) shot of lemon juice and shot of mustard for a bit of acidity, a little crushed red pepper for zing, and a fat 1/4 cup brown sugar cause I like it that way, I then drizzled this warm heavy sauce over those thin slices of pork loin, awesome totally awesome. Thanks Bill, that was some mighty good eats.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2004, 10:38 PM   #14
TedWagner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ok, so I made a shoulder today and per the suggestions, I ran it up to 200 degrees - I would have stopped at 195, but those things really shoot up in temp. Anyway, I let it cool back to about 150 before I started pulling, came apart easily and very juicy! Good stuff.

I Q'd the shoulder for 3 hrs before wrapping, as a wrap I use a paper grocery sack...very easy and effective - anyone else use a paper sack or just me? I didn't check the temp at the 3 hr mark.
TedWagner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2004, 08:02 AM   #15
chad

"Paper or plastic?" :D

Actually a paper bag would work great - I remember doing chicken in the oven that way a few years ago.

Last week when I did the butt I foiled at 165 and pulled at 195 to put in the cooler. My thermometer went off about 15 minutes later and the temp had continued to rise to 205 in the cooler.

Biggest key in pulled pork and most que is DON'T RUSH! Low and slow is more than just a suggestion - it's an imperative!!