• Yes

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jrickus

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
View attachment 104995

View attachment 104996My son has come up short on tuition for classes starting in January. So I've decided to let it go.. I built this pit in my garage (Bluff city TN). I'm currently building 3 more similar so wanted to see if anyone was interested in this completed project.

Asking 2700.00

Last edited:
I believe I'm going to try the reverse flow design next. It involves a little more work and material but I'm always up for the challenge of complex fabrication. Any one ever built one that can be a standard flow and reverse flow ( Sliding baffle plate). I've seen smokers with stacks at both ends and was assuming that was how they operated.

I voted high, but I like your work. Solid pit. Charcoal grill and a propane burner a plus. Looks well built. It's just the cooking surface seemed a bit small... but maybe that's just me. Nice lookin' rig, good luck with raising the cash !

Yeah, as AlwaysSmokey stated cooking surface appears to be a bit small for that price. But the workmanship looks great. But the "right" price is whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it. So you may want to start at $2700 and if you don't get any bites then gradually lower until you find that sweet spot.

Thanks. I priced for negotiation room. I didnt show a pic but there is a 2nd rack about 10 inches wide that runs the length of chamber.I made it removable.The wife and I catered pulled pork for 80 a few months back. It worked great and received great reviews.Not real big but a good starter for rib comps and small catering events.Thanks for the kind words.

If the trailer was smaller the cooker would look bigger -or if the cooker was bigger the trailer would look right - they don't match.

You are right.It needs a box built with expanded metal for wood storage . looks like empty space from back side. but it does make a place to park your keester and enjoy a cold one while the Q is cooking.

I said high but not by a lot; I think you are in the ballpark asking $2700 OBO as an indication you are wiloinh to negotiate. If you are gonna build more that size you might consider a "patio model" with pneumatic tires and skip the trailer all together. I find them to be pretty good sellers.

Edit: PS - good on you for helping with the tuition; I got one down & one to go.

Actually, I think that is a decent price, considering there appears to be an offset smoker, grill and propane burner.

I actually had the original plan on metal wheels made from pipe but decided to put it on a trailer since I added the grill and propane burner. I will be building the others as patio reverse flows.A buddy trade me a 250 gal propane tank (for a grill I made from beer keg) in which I've allready built a 24 x 24 x 5/16" diamond plate firebox, that one is going on a trailer for sure.

Just make sure we see pics of all these creations!

I agree with you A wood storage expanded metal basket to fill that gap would help that one

I will be sure to post pics. I was actually able to teach my son to weld and fabricate during this build. I am a welding and structural inspector by trade so quality and attention to detail were a main topic. Lots of great memories in the history book on this one.

dwfisk, any links or pics to your homebuilts. I would love to stare at em for minute if you do?

Thanks for sharing Smitty, I had seen the 1st one but not the 2nd. Both have got me thinking a vertical is on my agenda now. Lots of detailed pictures!

No takers yet. I may need to list it at 2400 OBO. But I put a lot of work and time in this thing, I would hate to get less than what it's worth. Might be time for plan "B" (student loan), either way got to get this boy started in college.

Hard to drop $ like that around Holidays for many folks. . Tax time its easy (unless you are self employed :cry:) . I do think a wood basket in that open area would help it and then $2400 would be a Good Price.

Back