• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

redneck guru

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering what this redneck guru is that I keep seeing mentioned in posts from time to time. I tried searching for it but I can't come up with anything.

I belive its something that Norcoredneck "reverse engineered" in his garage one night. Its basically a homebuilt guru.

Unless I am just confusing it with a redneck stoker..........it is just a hair dryer. :shock:

Force the air through the intake until you get the temp you want. I can use one and have my Stumps ready to go in 15 minutes (or less).

Like this?

kettlegrill.jpg

Yep, a redneck guru is a hair dryer, or you can use what I've used on my clone.......a dumbfarker guru...a shopvac set to blower, but be prepared to have ashes everywhere in your cooker (hence the dumbfarker name).

I picked up one of these at Walmart (I think) and it puts out just enough air to get the coals going but not so much to blow ash everywhere. Works great and was only like 2 bucks.

untitled.bmp.jpg

The redneck Guru I mentioned is a PID controller I hooked up to control a fan much like the Guru does.

IMG_2611.jpg

I tell ya, if Pat dont have the toys he farkin makes em!! Thats cool as chit.

How does that West Bond box work? Let me guess, you have a temp probe, then you dial in your temp on the box and then it makes a relay to turn your blower off & on?

I tell ya, if Pat dont have the toys he farkin makes em!! Thats cool as chit.

How does that West Bond box work? Let me guess, you have a temp probe, then you dial in your temp on the box and then it makes a relay to turn your blower off & on?
Right on. This controller controlled a soldering pot. I picked it up from salvage. The "Hair dryer" is actually a heat gun that the element burnt out. A little overkill. The controller learns and controls really well. A little advice to those that have no knowledge with this stuff buy a digiQ or stoker. I build this crap as a personal challenge which helps me learn and I apply to my job. Parts are expensive.
IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Wow!
That redneck guru is so cool.

I wonder how hard it would be to use an old oven thermostat (without the PID controller) to simply turn the fan on and off.

FWIW, I have a DigiQII but i admire your ingenuity.

Interesting idea. I'm a bit of a tinkerer myself, have to keep an eye out for something that might work.

Gotta search for a PID controller now. other than the 'fan' what else is on the parts list?

Back