LSG Offset Cabinet

bdadams84

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first stick burner. I am currently very interested in the Lone Star Grillz 30" offset cabinet smoker. I know this is a newer model and has been around for about a year now. That being the case for y'all who have them what do y'all think?

I've noticed that everyone raves about the build quality. I do wonder for the cabinets specifically, how evenly can you get them to cook with the tuning plates? If I were to do a hot cook at 325 or 350 for let's say a turkey cook, would the falanged doors bind at all at the higher temperatures?

Any one have any other recommendations in the same class of smoker? I do want a 1/4" steel minimum for the cook chamber. I really don't care if it's a horizontal or vertical style cooker. I'm really just starting serious research now. I'll probably budget $3000-3500 for everything to include shipping. I'm not in a rush as this will be a graduation gift to myself at the end of this year.

Last edited:
I dont really know about there offset cabinets but I do own there 20X42 offset. The thing is built like a tank and holds steady temps across both upper and lower grates. I get about 75 degree between the top and bottom grate which is nice if I want to cook at 2 different temps. The nice thing about the new 20" series that I liked is no baffle plates to mess with. I know its not a cabinet style but something to think about.

I can't exactly answer your questions but the LSG offset cabinets are great looking smokers and I'm considering ordering one as well. I keep looking at other pits and I always end up back to the LSG. If you haven't already, you should join the Lonestar Grillz Owners & Fan Club on Facebook. I know a few people there use the cabinets and will be able to help with your questions.

When I purchased my LSG offset with warmer the offset cabinet models were not an option. If I was doing it over today I would strongly consider a cabinet model for the increased capacity with the same foot print, plus a warmer would not be necessary.

I have had my lsg offset for 5 years and run it at 350 every Christmas and Thanksgiving for turkeys. Nothing will warp or bind. The only thing that has happened to my pit is paint flaking from the firebox but I have the 1/2 thick box . He guaranteed me the box wouldn't trust through for 100 years.

I dont really know about there offset cabinets but I do own there 20X42 offset. The thing is built like a tank and holds steady temps across both upper and lower grates. I get about 75 degree between the top and bottom grate which is nice if I want to cook at 2 different temps. The nice thing about the new 20" series that I liked is no baffle plates to mess with. I know its not a cabinet style but something to think about.

My only real issue with the 20" series is that it is thinner steel. It's 3/16" compared to 1/4". Plus I wouldn't have the same capacity. Granted it would probably handle 90% of the cooks I do, I rather have a little extra space. They do look like great cookers. I've seen some of the reviews on YouTube. Plus I like the ide of the tuning plates. Yes they're more work, but they provide flexibility.

I have had my lsg offset for 5 years and run it at 350 every Christmas and Thanksgiving for turkeys. Nothing will warp or bind. The only thing that has happened to my pit is paint flaking from the firebox but I have the 1/2 thick box . He guaranteed me the box wouldn't trust through for 100 years.

Yep I do plan to get the 1/2" fire box mainly for the reason of longevity. If or when it starts to peal it'll be easy enough to sand down and repaint with high temp paint. And thank you. I was a bit concerned about binding as the metal expanded because it looks like LSG's moving parts fit pretty snug as is. I'm glad to know these cookers will do fine at the higher temps.

Last edited:
There are many really super pits and pit builders. LSG is one of them. Go for it. I love mine.

Back