MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
MrOneEyedBoh
On the road to being a farker

Default Is it worth buying lump via the internet? Also what are some good online retailers for BBQ stuff?

I was wondering if its worth buying lump charcoal thru the net? If so where? and lastly, what are the good online retailers at? Just for BBQ stuff etc.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

The shipping is what will kill you. It can be more expensive than the charcoal itself sometimes. I ordered a few bags of lump online just to check them out, but there's no way I would do it on a regular basis. You can usually get some kind of decent lump or hardwood briquette wherever you are, it just takes a little looking sometimes. Wally World usually has Royal Oak, which most people, myself included, find to be just fine. I get it from DoItBest ship to store (no shipping cost).

There are a couple threads around here somewhere about making our own lump, which you may or may not want to check out.

Look in the Brethren Sales and Ventures forums and you'll see some mighty fine guys here who have businesses that sell bbq stuff & often have a discount for Brethren.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Right on gtr.
Shipping is what kills when ordering charcoal on the net. I use DoIt Best to get RO Chef's Select briqs shipped free to the store.
My buddies at Great Lakes BBQ Supply are my go to online BBQ retailer. Great guys, and very good service.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

I agree with Doitbest Ordered some cherry and apple chunks on a Monday and had them Thursday.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

I just started wholesaling a product called All Natural Lump. http://www.allnaturalcharcoal.com/ I peddle it and there locally. You have to order at least 2 pallets (40 bags per pallet) from them. My cost delivered is just north of $ 10 bag. We started this by getting 5 or 6 guys to pitch in on the load. This price beats the hell out of $ 23/bag for cowboy or green egg coal. This is good stuff. As good if not better than Royal, Cowboy or GE Coal. If anyone wants the reps email or phone gimme' a PM and I'll forward it to you.

Having a few individual bags shipped is not very cost effective.
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

for BBQ stuff I use Steve at 5-0-BBQ. He is a brethren and will treat you well.

http://www.5-0bbq.com/

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

What others already said...Order from Doitbest.com. I've gotten both cherry chunks and charcoal from them. The RO chef's select that Harbormaster mentioned is great stuff, and I'm hooked, but doitbest.com has lump you can order, too. Sales tax is a lot cheaper than shipping on heavy stuff.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
MrOneEyedBoh

Thanks guys. I think 5-0 is in MD too, likewise.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out: grillstuff.com. They sell Ozark Oak for $9.95 per bag and they offer free shipping on orders over $99. I ordered 20 bags (200lbs) a couple months back and it came in 4 big boxes and shipped for free. Not sure why they haven't figured it out yet - but they must be loosing money offering free shipping on a $9 bag of lump.

Ozark Oak is very good quality. Check out the naked whiz to see his comments.

HTH
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
firemedic

I just logged to search for this exact topic and there is a current thread already going. I love this place. I wanted to try wicked but there just doesn't seem to be any cost effective way to get it. I will have to give ozark oak a try next.
firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
I just logged to search for this exact topic and there is a current thread already going. I love this place. I wanted to try wicked but there just doesn't seem to be any cost effective way to get it. I will have to give ozark oak a try next.
Ozark Oak is great stuff - I wish it was available around here.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't find any good lump around here, I've tried and tried and nowhere sells it.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Ozark Oak is great stuff - I wish it was available around here.
If he's got it in Anaheim you should be able to get it in Culver City, right? I'm lucky enough to have a place that sells Ozark Oak right next to my house. I haven't tried Wicked yet but Ozark is good enough for me.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post

You get Ozark Oak down there?
WTFWGALD?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
firemedic

Sorry I should've clarified.

Check out: grillstuff.com. They sell Ozark Oak for $9.95 per bag and they offer free shipping on orders over $99. I ordered 20 bags (200lbs) a couple months back and it came in 4 big boxes and shipped for free. Not sure why they haven't figured it out yet - but they must be loosing money offering free shipping on a $9 bag of lump.

I'm gonna give this a try, recieved a highly recommended review on nakedwhiz and so far the brethren seem to really like it. It's MUCH cheaper than mail ordering wicked good and my only local choices seem to be royal oak and cowboy. I have had good luck with royal but half of what i love about this hobby is trying out new things. Sorry for the confusion.
firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote