MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

Arrow What's the best deck grill under $600

I am looking for a nice deck grill/smoker. What's the best grill out that is $600 or less? I know some might say WSM but I'm not into those round smokers. I like to have plenty of space and able to lay my food out. Lowes, Home Depot, Costco? Who sells it? Thanks in advance for all of your comments!

Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What are your other requirements. Size must be unimportant. Fuel source? You want to be able to smoke or grill? Round is out of the question completely?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

akron, bGE, WSM, Oklahoma Joe offset, any of these are good options.. in your price range..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

I would like to smoke. Wood and or charcoal burner. The bigger the better. Not a fan of the round domes.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

IMHO I think you are really limiting your options if you exclude round dome units. I have a Weber, Akorn and a BGE and can cook great food on them. The OK Joe mentioned above is a great option. Check out Meadow Creek. I would post a link but I am at work. I'll post one later.

http://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/index.php

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Last edited by Pyle's BBQ; 07-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Add link
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

I was in Texas recently. My nephew had a pit similar to this one. His was a little less expensive but I was very impressed with it. His had a 40"x 20" cook chamber although I'm not sure this one is as wide. Seemed well made, leaked very little, had the diffuser plate already built in, slide out expanded metal grates and the flue is at grate level. Not a Lang but mucho bang for buck.

Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

2 Akorns Plenty of space, plenty of versatility and 2 can be had easily for under 600 bones
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I suggest a cabinet style smoker, like a backwoods They are insulated in most cases, so you should not have to worry about being close to railings. Offsets worry the jabberers out of me on a wood deck. I have done it but it was on a fire matte with fire board around the back side, along with extinguisher and garden hose close at hand, this from someone who like to play with fire. I have not checked backwoods prices in a long time so I can not speak to that. Also may want to check your city codes.
Dave

Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

I know it's round...but what about a Weber 26" Kettle? Big enough to move your food around, plays well on a deck......How much grilling are you looking for vs. smoking? If it's a straight smoker would look into a used cabinet style smoke like the BW suggested...

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

The one that Wesman posted is similar to the OK Joe one that Lowes has. $429 OK Joe Smoker

I have never used it, so I can't tell you how it cooks. It does seem to have a decent build quality though. Anyone else have any opinions on these? I've been eyeing it for a while now myself.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsevg9 View Post
The one that Wesman posted is similar to the OK Joe one that Lowes has. $429 OK Joe Smoker

I have never used it, so I can't tell you how it cooks. It does seem to have a decent build quality though. Anyone else have any opinions on these? I've been eyeing it for a while now myself.
The reviews on lowes site where not good at all.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

I was checking out the OK Joe at Lowe's. I wasn't as impressed with it. The lid and the lip under the lid had gaps. The flue is way above the grate level. It seemed a little thinner walled as well. It's a decent unit.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

A WSM.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Folks, Oklahoma Joe is a now line of smokers made by Charbroil. I am told they work fine with a few mods. However, they are NOT the same as the originals that were manufactured in Perry and Stillwater, OK.

Last edited by harris92; 07-12-2013 at 07:58 PM..
harris92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Mrdeville
Full Fledged Farker

I was leaning more to Oklahoma joe. The thickness is pretty decent, but the newer ones ...firebox has no ashpan, and where the side door on the firebox opens, it's too close to bottom. Im thinking when I have a long cook, when I go to open the door, hot ash will fall out if I'm not careful. I do like the size of both the cooking chamber and firebox. Besides, I need another smoker. I have a bunch of apple, oak and pear I need to burn!