Brisket flats stiffening up immediately after pulling?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still trying to find the "goes in like buttah" with brisket flats (packers unavailable here).

I think I've got it, but is it normal that after pulling the meat from smoker the meat will stiffen up immediately?

I probe them on the smoker, they feel like buttah, I'll take them out and walk inside. When I'll probe the flat inside, it's not anymore like buttah, it immediately stiffens up upon removing from heat.

I'm not sure if all meat does this, haven't noticed it that much with pork. Internal temps have been always more than 200, usually finishing around 210 (hot and fast). I don't go by the temp, I just want to know it ;)

Hi,

I'm still trying to find the "goes in like buttah" with brisket flats (packers unavailable here).

I think I've got it, but is it normal that after pulling the meat from smoker the meat will stiffen up immediately?

I probe them on the smoker, they feel like buttah, I'll take them out and walk inside. When I'll probe the flat inside, it's not anymore like buttah, it immediately stiffens up upon removing from heat.

I'm not sure if all meat does this, haven't noticed it that much with pork. Internal temps have been always more than 200, usually finishing around 210 (hot and fast). I don't go by the temp, I just want to know it ;)

That's normal. Wrap in foil and let the meat rest for a bit.

Gotta let it sit in foil for an hour in a cooler or cambro. let those juices redistribute. very normal.

Thanks,

That might explain why I've had so much difficulty achieving tender flats :D

I've returned them to the smoker after probing inside thinking they weren't tender.

Back