Soaking Wood in Vinager

L

larrymac360

Has anyone ever soaked there wood in vinager before smoking ?
This was just brought to my attention , I have never seen it done .
Does it add flavor to the meat ?

I'm not so sure that it would be a good idea... Though on the other hand, it may get rid of the bee's....

just sayin

I saw one of those guys on t.v., actually a pretty highly regarded pitmaster...I think it was Ed Mitchell, who said he soaks his wood in vinegar for smoking. I see no reason to do it. I would think it just messes up the smoke process.

I am with yall it doesn't sound like a good idea to me !! Heck what do I know .
I just wanted some more opinions.

Never vinegar but I do have some oak and apple that has been soaked in Va whiskey. I took a tour of the distillery below. The "Kopper Kettle" is presoaked with oak and apple as explained on the website. The owner gave me about 10 lbs of wood chunks.

www.virginiamoonshine.com

Very small operation but has been featured on National Geographic.

I've heard he (Ed Mitchell) does that too. He might do it to temper the fire down but wood chunks won't absorb much liquid.

On one of the Man-vs.-Food shows they went to Ed Mitchell's bbq joint in NC and when Ed was cooking 1/2 hogs he said that he used wood chunks soaked in vinegar. I can't remember why or if he said why he does it. Maybe Sledneck will chime in on this one.

Never vinegar but I do have some oak and apple that has been soaked in Va whiskey. I took a tour of the distillery below. The "Kopper Kettle" is presoaked with oak and apple as explained on the website. The owner gave me about 10 lbs of wood chunks.

www.virginiamoonshine.com

Very small operation but has been featured on National Geographic.

Cool. I have a good friend in Culpeper. I'll have to check this out.

Back