Multiple meat quantities.

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have been catering for three years now and something that still confuses me as how to get my pricing lower is how much of each meat to provide when catering multiple meats. In the past I have been figuring my prices say for pork and brisket on 4oz of each meat. The problem I am having is that by doing so my prices are coming in much higher than other caterers. For instance my competition does pork and 2 sides for $10 and for $1 they do pork and brisket. I am paying $2.89lb for brisket x2 once cooked $5.78 so a 4oz serving costs me $1.44. So how do they charge $1 for something that costs more unless they are providing say enough brisket to fee half the people but then the cost is still $0.72 per person and by charging a $1 they are making nothing for the 2nd meat. What am I missing? Is it considered ok to run out of one meat so long as you don't run out of both?

Are you providing enough meat so that each person you are catering for can have two sandwiches? Rarely in my three years of catering has each person at the rehersal dinner or family reunion taken two sandwiches. Some will, but most will take one, and I've had several ask for smaller portions.

Back