73 D-Dons Pit Crew
74 Two Men & A Fridge Co.
75 Jacks Or Better
76 Beorken BBQ
77 Moolicious Intentions
78 KC Rib Doctor
79 Ikonic BBQ
80 Social Smokers

I didn't get a chance to get out there. Any thoughts on the new location and setup? 80 teams compared to 192 last year is kinda shocking.

The new location was awesome! The new venue is relatively level - just slight inclines. In lot A the rows were set up to allow access to the turn-in without navigating a maze and I saw that they had carts taking the team with longer walks to the turn-in. As far as the size, it was to be expected since there was no invitational and the Vegas contest was the same weekend. I was really surprised that 80 teams signed up, but the teams that did show up were great. There were issues with electricity getting turned on, but that was more the fault of Overland Park who had to inspect the grid before the GAB could flip the switch. They also called and gave out ribbons for the top 20 teams (I just wish more contests this size would do the same). We had a storm blow through Friday, but had clear sky's Friday night and Saturday - a monster storm blew through late Saturday, but I was lucky to be out of there and safely at home by that time. Overall, a great contest and I will be back next year! It was also great talking to some of the Brethren and meeting new friends.

This was my first time out and enjoyed the ease of load-in/load-out, got everything I needed upfront and had volunteers checking in a few times each day for ice, trash and water. I enjoyed this comp with my wife, we stayed over Saturday night and listened to the hail storm pass over as I passed out. No dents in anything and the ash I spilled was gone this morning. :)

I also appreciated the calls out to 20th place. I feel we did good in the company we kept this weekend with 13th overall. I would like to come back.

Wow,lots and lots of new names. Gonna be a intersting year.
Congrats all.
Ed

Congrats to all who heard their names called! I had a blast walking around & visiting Friday afternoon / evening, and I want to thank Marc (HarleyEarl) for reminding me that it was 11:30 Friday night (and for babysitting my cooler with beer, smoked cheese & Templeton Rye overnight).
It's a real kick for me to see my friends get a stage call, I think that I enjoy it almost as much as they do :-D.

Congrats to all who heard their names called! I had a blast walking around & visiting Friday afternoon / evening, and I want to thank Marc (HarleyEarl) for reminding me that it was 11:30 Friday night (and for babysitting my cooler with beer, smoked cheese & Templeton Rye overnight).
It's a real kick for me to see my friends get a stage call, I think that I enjoy it almost as much as they do :-D.

Dave sorry for not making it out. Had to work yesterday! Drove by and saw your truck and 5th wheel! Nice they were able to get you so close!

Jon

Having been able to judge this, there was some very good Q that came to our table, congrats to all that submitted thiers.

Dave, all I can say is we had a blast the whole weekend! Your cheese was a hit, but now I've been put to task to get the old frig rigged as a cheese smoker. The ol' war stories after the judging were great - it was nice sitting around with a few judge and other teams (especially Chris Early - damn that man is a hoot, not to mention a great cook). Thanks for all your support and call outs when we got calls. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks & I do remember my promise to you & they will be cold!

This was my first time out and enjoyed the ease of load-in/load-out, got everything I needed upfront and had volunteers checking in a few times each day for ice, trash and water. I enjoyed this comp with my wife, we stayed over Saturday night and listened to the hail storm pass over as I passed out. No dents in anything and the ash I spilled was gone this morning. :)

I also appreciated the calls out to 20th place. I feel we did good in the company we kept this weekend with 13th overall. I would like to come back.

Michael, congrats on your calls. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk - you were just across the aisle from us, but never saw you out when I had free time. Hopefully we can get together in Sedalia next month.

This was my first judging event of the year, and it was a great way to dust off the old apron and name tag. There were some mighty fine entries coming through, so congrats to all!

Marc...was great to meet you and I'll be trying out that sauce of yours this week.

Congrats to all and sorry for not making the rounds but was one maning it until later friday. Dave did keep me informed of who was where and how they were doing. A real BBQ Butterfly you are Dave! :)

Good contest, they had a couple problems again but everything was great by the time we had to cook. Plenty of room, flat location for us anyway. And plenty of folks running around on carts if you needed anything. We also thought scores were fair.

Dave, all I can say is we had a blast the whole weekend! Your cheese was a hit, but now I've been put to task to get the old frig rigged as a cheese smoker. The ol' war stories after the judging were great - it was nice sitting around with a few judge and other teams (especially Chris Early - damn that man is a hoot, not to mention a great cook). Thanks for all your support and call outs when we got calls. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks & I do remember my promise to you & they will be cold!

Marc, it was nice to hang out with you after turn ins. The treats from the "Cheese Fairy" :clap2::clap2: were awesome.
Chris & Jana

I had great neighbors all the way around!! Except for the guys with the LOUD stereo at midnight.

I had great neighbors all the way around!! Except for the guys with the LOUD stereo at midnight.

I heard they were reported. Whatever happened to courtesy? This is 6 of 6 contests this year when the 11:00 quite time was a bust. At my site the stereo shut off at 10:58 and I asked our guests to quiet down. Some kind of looked at me funny since we had the rock concert down the way. I just told them I didn't want Todd coming after me with his scimitar.:becky: But to be honest, our aisle had a great group of teams - hoping to get the same spot back next year.

I heard they were reported. Whatever happened to courtesy? This is 6 of 6 contests this year when the 11:00 quite time was a bust. At my site the stereo shut off at 10:58 and I asked our guests to quiet down. Some kind of looked at me funny since we had the rock concert down the way. I just told them I didn't want Todd coming after me with his scimitar.:becky: But to be honest, our aisle had a great group of teams - hoping to get the same spot back next year.

We reported them. Called the security number and got a message that the mailbox was full. So we called the KCBS rep, Larry Hadley. I think we woke him up. He came onsite and took care of it. He was NOT happy :mad2:.

I hope we are in the same neighborhood next year, if there is a next year.

Chris

I walked over to Two and a Half Pigs site at 11:25pm in my underwear (and t-shirt), told them the time and asked them if they were going to "honor" quiet time. They claimed ignorance regarding the rules and turned it down a little. I suggested they turn it down more and I got "that look" from one of the two guys. They complied, but within 2 minutes they had it back to a disrespectful level. I also called it in and received voicemail, however, within 15 minutes I heard the four wheeler pulling up and they went silent at that time. Then the only thing we had to listen to was the band that was scheduled to play until midnight.

The next morning, an older team member came over and acknowledged what his team members did wrong, took ownership for the team and apologized for their actions. I appreciated this effort. No hard feelings here.

I walked over to Two and a Half Pigs site at 11:25pm in my underwear (and t-shirt), told them the time and asked them if they were going to "honor" quiet time. They claimed ignorance regarding the rules and turned it down a little. I suggested they turn it down more and I got "that look" from one of the two guys. They complied, but within 2 minutes they had it back to a disrespectful level. I also called it in and received voicemail, however, within 15 minutes I heard the four wheeler pulling up and they went silent at that time. Then the only thing we had to listen to was the band that was scheduled to play until midnight.

The next morning, an older team member came over and acknowledged what his team members did wrong, took ownership for the team and apologized for their actions. I appreciated this effort. No hard feelings here.

Whew! I thought you guys may have been talking about my team - Big Wigs BBQ. We do get loud but always are respectful of QT. I do admit we missed it by a few minutes at this one but simply a miss - not intentional.

-Chris

Back