"Re-starting" a fire for grilling

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I figured I would ask about a situation that happens far too often around my place. Maybe you can tell me what you do.

I'm doing a nice indirect grill session, maybe a rack of ribs or a whole chicken. Something that takes 1-2 hours. Well, the cook is coming along nicely, the food is almost done...then--One of my extended family shows up with a couple of big ol' ribeyes. "We found these on sale and wanted to bring them by. Can you throw these on the grill too?"

So yeah, there is enough heat in those coals to cook on. It's probably "medium" to "medium hot" still at this point...but I need some super hot rip-roaring flames to sear those steaks. I need open flame, not a slowly-dwindling coal bed.

I'll usually throw a handful of chips on the coals, and once they catch a few big chunks of wood. It creates some brief open flames to cook above, but it's not super blazing hot. I will admit that this method is neither carefully thought out nor carefully researched. Which is why I defer to you, dear Brethren.

My question is this. How should I quickly and efficiently "restart" the fire?

P.S. No clever Billy Joel references :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think if it were me I would throw them on the indirect side along with what you were cooking and then start a chimney of charcoal. Once the steaks are about 20 degrees below your desired finish temp then add the new coals to the existing bed and sear over that.

Another option would be to just throw a grate over your chimney for the final sear. Of course this is all dependent on how much space you have on the indirect side

Talk about first world problems! But seriously, I agree with Erik I would just do a reverse sear on them.

Assuming you are timing the food to be done when guests arrive, reverse sear will probably take too long.

I would throw on some small seasoned splits in this situation, they will light up and get hot real quick, just dont close the lid on them, open fire all the way.

For rejuvenating a fire for extended cooking I like to add lump charcoal as it catches faster and needs less time to settle in before it's ready to cook. I don't have a chimney, so using one of those might allow for using briquettes.

I agree, I slow roll them on the fire (which I always have enough coals),
pull them off at 110 - 118,
then I open the vents and use a blow dryer to amp up the temp.
I use one for work so I am not worried about smoke smell.
Could buy one for $5 at a thrift store. Trust me, you'll use it.

I add coals, take my wind machine (formerly an old hair dryer that the heat element crapped out) turn it on high and have super glowing high heat in about 5 minutes.

Want to sear a steak quickly?

xJvUigX.jpg

LQ3QVD1.jpg

Harbor Freight $20 flamethrower.

That looks really interesting...how dangerous would you consider one of these to be? Is this how you light your charcoal?

Very dangerous if used carelessly. I've been handling flame devices since 1980. With a little common sense they are easy to use and cheap. I only use the flamethrower for sous vide meat sear but it works great for pre warming a big pit on a cold day and starting coal. I just use Weber starter cubes for coal.

On edit, 500,000 BTU's @ 3000*F/1648*C. Treat it like a loaded gun but aim it properly and have some fun.

Last edited:
I am loving the approaches suggested here. As is said, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

If a picture was ever worth a thousand words, this is it:

xJvUigX.jpg

Makes my MAPP gas torch look like a match. LOL!:laugh:

Maybe that is another advantage to being a gasser. Just light another burner. :wink:

(But I still like the weed burner... :laugh: )

Back