My first Santa Maria bbq build

TheOx

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Instead of spending $1,000’s of dollars on a Santa Maria grill I decided I’d build my own custom grill. I’d like to thank everyone on bbq brethren who posted pictures of their Santa Maria style grills, which inspired and helped me to build mine.

The bbq is 48x24 with a depth of 24 (before I cut the front lip). 3/16 thick steel plate with 2 1/2 inch channel iron. I ordered the custom antler topper off Etsy for around $150. I made the grill out of 1 1/2 angle iron and #9 expanded metal. I made a secondary grate for the floor of the grill for the wood to sit on and to create better air flow. (Which really help) I added an air flow regulator on the right side of the grill (because you can never have too much oxygen). I drilled a one inch hole in the bottom of the floor of the bbq and welded on a piece of one inch threaded pipe with a galvanized cap in order to drain any water that may get inside the grill While being exposed to the elements. The cutting board is made out of bamboo. If you have any questions feel free to ask

I’d add a layer of the thin refractory bricks to the bottom if this if it’s off the ground. It will help prevent warping and create more infrared heat retention. But, if this pit will be rained on that will trap moisture. Trade offs...Pron please...

Back