Chris Lilly Injection

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do you see any reason not to inject the pork butts I am using tomorrow and then rubbing the butts on Friday evening and putting them on the smoker Friday at 11:00? I am going to use his injection and rub and serve the pork with coleslaw, potato salad, and baked beans.

I usually inject & rub (heavy) the night before. Some of the injection will leak out & mix with the rub, making a marinade to soak in overnight. Then I rub again before it goes on the smoker.

I started with that injection, but after I mixed it up and tasted it, I had to modify to my taste. You might want to mix some up and try it before you inject:!: Otherwise I always inject now a days.

If you want to experiment a little. cut the salt in half. I thought Chris's injection was way to salty. 1/2 had a fairly good flavor, just not the salt.

Last edited:
*Newb question*

What is the point of injecting the meat? Wouldn't just putting a rub on the meat do the same thing?

*Newb question*

What is the point of injecting the meat? Wouldn't just putting a rub on the meat do the same thing?

Only one way for you to truly know which method you prefer (do a little side-by-side taste test).

Lots of folks inject. Lots of folks don't. It's simply a matter of preference.

I inject (most of the time) with a simple mixture of fruit juice and salt. Works well for me.

I usually use that injection and try to do it at least the day before. Most of it seems to run out and sit in the bottom of the bowl, but that's OK i guess.

I typically inject the night before while it's still in the cryovac/plastic wrap. Right before it goes on the smoker is when I take it out of the cryovac and put the dry rub on it. Everybody has their own way, just experiment and find what works for you.

Back