Discussion Thread -> Let's Cook Like Julia Child!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

picture.php

Vuja De!!!

It is my understanding that Julia Child actually cooked a leg of lamb on a grill, pretty much the way I cooked it. I have read it is in one of her books, but I have not been able to verify it, for sure. One week is not enough time to find and buy that book. I hope that I, at the least, cooked my lamb in a way she would find acceptable.

It tasted very good to me.

CD

I don't know about lamb, but in the book I ordered "From Julia Child's Kitchen", she does have recipes for spit roast chicken and Turkey (I haven't gotten to the meat course section yet) so I would say you absolutely got the spirit of the Category!

BTW, that looks fantastic!

Looks like we have a throwdown within a throwdown, between Aussi lamb and Kiwi lamb.

CD

picture.php

Vuja De!!!

Actually, I did a Google search on "Julia Child Grill," and found a few hits on this dish. I found several recipes, all a little different. I read them all, and came up with my own recipe based on that reading.

CD

Would you believe it, had the first entry as my choice, saw it and next idea was the second entry, so went shopping for the third idea and CD has already done it, complete with the same sides.
I might have to bake a dessert or something!:tsk:

Sensational food guys!:clap:

Would you believe it, had the first entry as my choice, saw it and next idea was the second entry, so went shopping for the third idea and CD has already done it, complete with the same sides.

HA! That exact same thing happened to me a few throwdowns ago, in the "Bone to pick with you" TD. Somebody beat me to every idea I came up with. That's why I did this one early in the week.

CD

DerHusker, that beef bourguignon cook is amazing! Beautiful step by step recording with great photos! I could taste that carmelization and the finished product looks delicious beyond words. I think sounds say it better.

Tarhog, that's a beautiful entry! Your plated shot made me drool, I love everything about your meal and I think the combination of hearty pork, rich gratin and tangy tomatoes rocks.

Caseydog, I love the flavour combination of the marinade -- rosemary, thyme and basil is a new concept for me. I like the idea of it, particularly when combined with lemon zest, garlic and olive oil. I imagine that would taste really good with lamb, I'll try to remember it the next time I smoke a leg. The roast potatoes were gorgeous, love your whole cook.

Caseydog, I love the flavour combination of the marinade -- rosemary, thyme and basil is a new concept for me. I like the idea of it, particularly when combined with lemon zest, garlic and olive oil. I imagine that would taste really good with lamb, I'll try to remember it the next time I smoke a leg. The roast potatoes were gorgeous, love your whole cook.

The Julia Child recipe called for fresh rosemary, thyme and marjoram, but I don't grow marjoram, so I did a Google search and found that basil was a suitable substitute for marjoram. I grow basil in my garden, so I made the substitute. I love cooking with herbs that were alive minutes before using them.

As for the garlic, what meat doesn't taste good with copious amounts of garlic? :becky:

CD

Hometruckin, another beautiful cook! Interesting to have panko in the crust with mustard and herbs. I imagine the crunch was lovely and I know the flavour was. More beautiful roast potatoes and I love the idea of green beans wrapped in bacon and grilled. Green beans can take more heat than asparagus so the bacon has time to get crispy, nice choice. I had to look up Dame Noir -- English references were spotty at best, good thing I have enough high school French to understand the French description/recipe for it. Melted chocolate combined with creme fraiche on chocolate ice cream. Delicious!

Hometruckin, another beautiful cook! Interesting to have panko in the crust with mustard and herbs. I imagine the crunch was lovely and I know the flavour was. More beautiful roast potatoes and I love the idea of green beans wrapped in bacon and grilled. Green beans can take more heat than asparagus so the bacon has time to get crispy, nice choice. I had to look up Dame Noir -- English references were spotty at best, good thing I have enough high school French to understand the French description/recipe for it. Melted chocolate combined with creme fraiche on chocolate ice cream. Delicious!
Try Dame Blanche, that is with vanilla ice creme. Noir is dark.....so chocolate ice creme. Thanks for the kind words. Water Pans are done!

DerHusker, that beef bourguignon cook is amazing! Beautiful step by step recording with great photos! I could taste that carmelization and the finished product looks delicious beyond words. I think sounds say it better.
Thank you Kathy. It was delicious or as my wife said "A+A+A+ The best thing you've made made for us". :grin:

Thanks buc, That's why I started Friday evening and finished it up at midnight. I didn't want to be copying someone else's cook.

Back