• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Will this make a good brine??For a enhanced turkey

B

BIGBrandon2785

I add ed a few flavors to a brine I found.Im just scared it could be too salty??

1 box chicken stock
1/4 Cup salt
1/2 brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground Thyme
1/2 tablespoon ground rosemary
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 1/2 tablespoon Plowboys Yardbird rub
1 Gallon of water

Might be low on the salt, depending on how much is in the Chicken Stock. The minimum amount of salt per gallon of brine is usually 1/2 cup per gallon. Other than that, it looks like a winner to me!:thumb:

Interested as well - wife bought the turkey and picked one up that has 8% solution added - would like to add some more flavor to it.

Will be frying mine, going to rub pretty liberally as well.

:doh: I missed the part about "enhanced"! :doh: I guess your brine is spot on then! Although...I have to wonder how it is a brine with that little salt...but oh well!:thumb:

:doh: I missed the part about "enhanced"! :doh: I guess your brine is spot on then! Although...I have to wonder how it is a brine with that little salt...but oh well!:thumb:
I was just scared maybe the Yardbird and chicken broth would salt

I was just scared maybe the Yardbird and chicken broth would salt
They will add salt, but probably not 1/4 cup worth of salt. You might get close to a tablespoon from the Plowboys (probably less), leaving you with 3 more tablespoons of salt to get to 1/2 cup total. I'm not sure how much salt is in that broth...but considering it is just one box, there is probably not 3 tablespoons in there or else the broth itself would taste like a brine.

Until this year, I never heard about cutting the salt in half for enhanced birds. I've cooked enhanced birds before and brined them in solutions using 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, and had no problems at all. However, considering who the folks are that were suggesting that the salt be cut in half, I believe they know something. However, I do believe the rule still remains that anything less than 1/2 cup per gallon is not a brine, whether it is an enhanced bird or not. I'll let them speak to this however.:wink:

They will add salt, but probably not 1/4 cup worth of salt. You might get close to a tablespoon from the Plowboys (probably less), leaving you with 3 more tablespoons of salt to get to 1/2 cup total. I'm not sure how much salt is in that broth...but considering it is just one box, there is probably not 3 tablespoons in there or else the broth itself would taste like a brine.

Until this year, I never heard about cutting the salt in half for enhanced birds. I've cooked enhanced birds before and brined them in solutions using 3/4 cup salt per gallon of water, and had no problems at all. However, considering who the folks are that were suggesting that the salt be cut in half, I believe they know something. However, I do believe the rule still remains that anything less than 1/2 cup per gallon is not a brine, whether it is an enhanced bird or not. I'll let them speak to this however.:wink:
I added in between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of salt.I called it 1/4 just because I wasent exactly sure of the measurement.Im sure that is not a big deal that it wont make a diffrence,but it's too late that sucker has been soaking for about 5 hours now:-D.Im just hoping between the enhanced bird,the some what brine and the injecter kit it will be as juicy as can be:-D.

It sounds decent to me too. I agree with earlier posts (check the ingredients in the broth). Not familiar with the plowboys rub either and I would check that also, especially since you are adding the other herbs and spice. Don't want a clash.

Back