MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Default Scotch Egg Question

I've been wanting to make some Scotch Eggs on the grill or smoker. I have a fresh roll of Bob Evans Original sausage.

First question is: Do you need to add anything to the sausage to make it stick to the hard boiled egg? Like a raw egg?

Second question: Would you slow smoke it at 225 to 250 degrees, or just put it on the grill at 350 or so?

About how long would the preferred method take. Since the sausage coating wouldn't be very thick, I wouldn't think it would take longe either way.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge Fan View Post
I've been wanting to make some Scotch Eggs on the grill or smoker. I have a fresh roll of Bob Evans Original sausage.

First question is: Do you need to add anything to the sausage to make it stick to the hard boiled egg? Like a raw egg?

Second question: Would you slow smoke it at 225 to 250 degrees, or just put it on the grill at 350 or so?

About how long would the preferred method take. Since the sausage coating wouldn't be very thick, I wouldn't think it would take longe either way.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Here is one of chotda's photographs of a fried Scotch Egg. I use it as a benchmark of the perfect one (in my book anyways), I've gotten close but never one this nice.

My best ones are dredged in flour, then egg, then panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and fried till golden. I've tried them on my Egg with the same coating as above, it didn't get as crunchy as I wanted. With only panko, it didn't want to anchor as well. Just an egg wrapped in sausage and cooked until it was done was okay, it just didn't match up to a fried one. The one thing I have not tried is mixing Shake-N-Bake into the sausage. That was how the first armadillo eggs I tasted were made....

Oh yeah, no problem making the sausage stick, just make a thin pattie, lay the egg in the middle and mold it around, using damp hands.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Shake and bake

Now thats a great idea Thirdeye, I'm gonna do that this weekend fry instead of smoking, but I do have pastromi in the smoker by the AM, I've smoked Johnsonville brats and then fry........Man O Man they're goooooood
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
CritterCook
Full Fledged Farker

It's pretty much the same principle as an armadillo egg. Made those a couple weeks ago...mmmmmm they were great. Didn't add anything to the sausage but spices...smoked them for a few hours. They stayed firm and juicy.

(bite size heart attacks)

"Bessie" and "Arnold" the UDS's
22.5 Weber
Cookshack FE150
Char-Broil performance series-gas

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
CritterCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I love them scottish eggs with a dip of colemans mustard. MMMM Good.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

I know what I'm trying to tomorrow (hope I have time).