MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
BobM
Babbling Farker

Default CyberQ WiFi, Android And Adhoc Mode

I got a BBQGuru CyberQ WiFi for Christmas.

I tried connecting to it in the adhoc mode first, which is supposed to be the simplest way.

I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII, which is an Android device. Apparently, Android devices do not support the adhoc mode.

It took me several hours of playing around, surfing the web for help and frustration to learn this fact. After I abandoned the adhoc mode, I was able to get the CyberQ working in the infrastructure mode within 1/2 hour.

This is not a failure of the CyberQ WiFi, but a lack of adhoc support by the Android device. Apparently devices that support adhoc, connect right up to the CyberQ.

If you are using any wireless device, and don't see "my CyberQ WiFi" in your connection list, abandon the adhoc mode and move on to setting it up in the infrastructure mode.

I have since done a full, manual configuration of the CyberQ WiFi and everything, including access from the internet, works fine.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 12-29-2012 at 01:27 PM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Bob, you have much chance to cook with the cyber q yet?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

Yes, I've done 4 cooks, it works great. I'm gonna start a thread about it.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
ryanfx
Found some matches.

Android devices do support adhoc wifi, but your device unlikely has the capability yet, nor am I sure it will be compatible with your CyberQ.

You'll need Jelly Bean, it's called Wi-Fi Direct.

http://developer.android.com/trainin...fi-direct.html
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
TheKomoman
Got Wood.

I love my CyberQ but I would describe the device as... wonky. Works great on the controller side, but its configuration.. oy. Mine came with 0.8 firmware and lord was it slow. Moving to 1.1 made all the difference.. but it's still the same wonky device.. that I love.
TheKomoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

You can also hot spot your S3 and hook the guru up to that network. You can then access the Page through the assigned ip address through your phone. Unfortunately most cell networks will not support port forwarding.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
BobM
Babbling Farker

I tried Wi-Fi Direct, it didn't work either.

I have Verizon, you need a subscription to use the phone as a mobile hot spot.

Sent from my Android phone.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I just got mine in the mail today. I have Verizon as well but we must have different plans.

I want to be able to use it at competitions so I set it up on my s3's network and enabled email alerts. I can hit the page with my phone and nexus 7.

The lack of port forwarding won't really hurt me at a competition. I plan on forwarding temp information to a cloud database so I can display our meat and pit temps on our website.

Either way it is a fun device for an IT nerd like myself.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds great, seems like more and more of us are getting the wifi units. Some of the technical language that you guys are using is a bit intimidating when you get into talking about getting it to work with your router.

Please post up as much as you can.....big decision to make (not cheap eather) thanks guys.

Bob, I keep hitting your threads caz I'm cooking on the same equipment as you and our climate/region is relatively similar. Learning a lot, thanks for the help.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote