Did This Oct Georgia Event Just Appear??

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So when I made out my competition schedule excel sheet that I am always staring at I have all the events I'm going to compete in and also events that I might for the year. I don't recall seeing this one (Liberty Tree BBQ Championship) on KCBS' events page for October and then I saw it just now.

I looked at their website and looks like it didn't happen last year, but did in 2009 & 2010. Did they just jump back into the mix because Canton got canceled or did I just miss it completely because I saw something shiny?? :crazy:

http://www.libertytreebbq.com/

I think 2010 was the first year. It was a sat-sun contest on the jack weekend. Now they have canton's spot.

I hope canton is back next year

I think 2010 was the first year. It was a sat-sun contest on the jack weekend. Now they have canton's spot.

I hope canton is back next year

The site also shows results from 2009 as well so they ran for 2 years, but they didn't have it last year for some reason. But yeah they do have Canton's spot. Might have to sign up.

yea your right... but I saw both of you were from Georgia and decided to give it a whirl... thank you though its just hard to pay the money and drive almost 9 hours and not know what to expect...

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

yea your right... but I saw both of you were from Georgia and decided to give it a whirl... thank you though its just hard to pay the money and drive almost 9 hours and not know what to expect...

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

While I can't speak to the competiton I do know that just a few miles away from Cleveland in Helen GA they have a pretty sweet Octoberfest. So if you come down early you can hit that up. I'm thinking of visiting there Friday earlier in the day.

http://www.helenga.org/events/42nd-annual-oktoberfest

I've been to both of these events.

Dalton's organizer was late in turning in his sanctioning paperwork, which is why it didn't appear until mid-season. He did petition KCBS to move their date back a week, which was approved since had Canton cancelled and there was no other nearby show on that weekend.

The Cleveland show is run by the same organizer as the Cornelia event in the spring. The only problem I saw with it when I cooked it last year was the site was very tight for space. The show is being moved to a better location this year, so that issue should be resolved.

Of the two, only the Cleveland contest is a GBC points qualifier. Dalton advertises a higher payout and is a Sat/Sun event. Either one is a good choice, or do both!

I think they did have the Liberty Tree last year. I was considering cooking it, and I have a friend that did cook it and did well...unless I'm thinking of the year before, but I'm pretty sure it was last year.

Another recommendation for the Cleveland, GA contest based solely on the experience of this past Spring's competition in Cornelia put on by the same organizer.

Some teams actually cook both of these contests. It is my understanding from previous comments that the Dalton contest is fairly liberal about setting up...meaning they generally work with the teams on setup times, meat inspection/etc. They do this to accommodate not only the Cleveland contestants, but folks that cooking The Jack who want to squeeze another contest in for the weekend.

Livert happened last year. Same weekend as the Jack. Sat/Sun contest. Tuffy won.

Back