Weeping Ribs Method?

I have not had good success with cooling down the kettle with the ribs in place when it has a full load of coals burning. But, I have managed to hit that point twice where the coals were dying down just as the cool down had to happen. That was magic. They burned out clean and the flavor and texture of the ribs was excellent. Kettles just do not have the mass otherwise.

Yeah I cant remember who (I have to delete my box often) wrote me about webers and weeping and really I did not know so I asked him to find out. I am with you. what works with my big assed pit may not work with a small one, or it may be even better!

Do This, was in reference to your Billy Wall cool down method, which I have also heard about from him.

I think there would be a big difference in yours cooling down from a WSM or UDS too. With a WSM, it is nigh impossible to shut down without some air getting in, making for a sooty result I would guess. That is why I wondered if the Weber option you mentioned was removing the middle section and lid off of the lower section to let it cool. A UDS would be easier, just shut the intakes (if they are ball valves) and cap the exhaust, but I still wonder if while hte fire chokes it would produce sooty flavors. I think remvoing any additional smoke is key (besides the obvious cutting off the heat), and in a unit like UDS or WSM, you would need to separate the fire from the unit completely I would imagine.

For this to work best I am imagining a slow cool down sounds like it is the magic, I could be wrong. I think I misunderstood you in that you were talking with a brethren who was testing how to do your cooldown method on a weber, not that they had mentioned trying it themselves and you were mentioning that. So I thought you knew more about what they were trying.

I have not had good success with cooling down the kettle with the ribs in place when it has a full load of coals burning. But, I have managed to hit that point twice where the coals were dying down just as the cool down had to happen. That was magic. They burned out clean and the flavor and texture of the ribs was excellent. Kettles just do not have the mass otherwise.

Thats exactly what I have to do with my big pits. I even stir them up to get all the wood ignited a few minutes before I open and check for the last time. Then i damper down and we are on.

Sounds like the principles are identical. As I initailly advised, you have to get all that fuel ignited and flamed out.

you know... a little flutter of sentimentality happened. We as the brethren are coming full circle. we started out tweaking and over tweaking out pits, adding baffles and gaskets and water pans and sand and stuff to get a pit designed to put along hot and fast down to 225, then we upgraded to eggs and stokers and gurus and webers, stumps and spicewines... now we are tweaking out our pits again.

This makes me feel seriously all warm inside.

I am was trying new ways to improve my uds then i realized...K.I.S.S was the way to go, simple works best for me.

Back