• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Time to make SRIRACHA

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In my local market(SoCal), fresh Fresno chiles are available now, and have been there for a few weeks. Where I shop, the season for them is relatively short. I have been paying $.79 lb.

Homemade Sriracha is easy to make, and infinitely better than the "Rooster Sauce"(Huy Fong) everyone loves.

There are many recipes out there, I prefer the ones that ferment the chile mash from Fresno chiles, ground with the calyxes intact, prior to processing the sauce.

Just a "Head's Up" for those who didn't already know. I make enough to hopefully last till next season. Dave

Recipe? I have a couple of great sriracha clones I bought at farmer's markets

Yea a recipes would be great we have a Fresno clone that is coming in here in florida I would like to do that recipe to.

I will provide a link to another forum, as the recipe is pretty much what I do. It would be unethical to cut & paste to here. I know it is frowned upon to steer you away from BBQ Brethren, so delete this post if I am committing an offense.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-recipe-from-scratch.html

It is seriously worth the rather small effort involved. It is a coveted gift to those who have had it, and is frequently requested.

I loves fermented chilli and garlic sauce. Sooo much tastier than bought.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have a good homemade Tapatio recipe? Or Chalua, they taste pretty similar to be honest.

Thanks!!! Will cayennes work... Instead of fresnos??

Sure, but the flavor will be different, maybe better. Any fresh chile could be prepared this way. Each variety has it's own flavor, at least until it gets so hot that it "blows out" your taste buds.

it says red jalapenos....what is a fresno?

A Fresno chile is a variety of chile that is very similar to Jalapeno's, but is always sold fully ripened(red). Red ripe Jalapeno's are rarely on offer in my experience.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have a good homemade Tapatio recipe? Or Chalua, they taste pretty similar to be honest.

I will guess that those brands of Hot Sauce are made from dried chile. With quite a bit of vinegar. I would try toasted chile de arbol, reconstituted and pureed, with a little salt, and little or no garlic.

BTW, if you see it, try Salsa Huichol, similar to the ones you mention. Made with Cascabel chiles, the depth of flavor is greater than most salsa picante's.

Back