MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #7891
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
Ok so I found my side table for my uds, it's a old jim beam whiskey barrel lid but It's so old I kinda want to know if its worth anything before I go cutting it maybe someone here might know something about it. My dad has had it for years and doesn't care what I do with it. I cant seem to find anything on google..

Whiskey barrels are pretty easy to get a hold of for not too much money, so I'd go ahead and do it! (Bourbon, in particular, has to legally use a new barrel every batch, so they go through a LOT of barrels.)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #7892
Cassman
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

After a lot reading I have gathered most of my parts for my first UDS build. so far I have acquired 3 sealed drums for free, a weber 22" kettle for $5 for parts just need part for charcoal basket.
Thanks for all the great info here.
Cassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #7893
Big Darb
Knows what a fatty is.

Anyone contemplating high temp paint for their uds should listen to the guys that say it isn't needed. I couldn't and used 1300 degree header paint. I christened my new baby with a brisket, 16 hours@ 225. I could hold my hand anywhere on the drum at any point during the cook.
PS- 17 hour burn and I had 1/3 basket of coal left over!
Big Darb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #7894
Spicy-Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

Big Darb, what size basket do you have?
Spicy-Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #7895
Prollo
Found some matches.

Finally finished the thread. My barrel should be here tomorrow, I can't wait to get started. Thanks for all of the great advice/tips. Much appreciated!
Prollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #7896
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
Whiskey barrels are pretty easy to get a hold of for not too much money, so I'd go ahead and do it! (Bourbon, in particular, has to legally use a new barrel every batch, so they go through a LOT of barrels.)
Ya I went ahead and did it cleaned all the crud off the sides/bottom of the barrel also added a diffuser rack today I'm done doing anything else to this smoker

Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #7897
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

nice drum. Not too fond of the orange longhorn though. Should be gold and black with a big Colorado Buffalo painted on it!
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #7898
Big Darb
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy-Meat View Post
Big Darb, what size basket do you have?

My basket is about 8" deep by 13" wide....an old wire basket my great grandfather used to collect eggs from the hen house.
Big Darb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #7899
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
nice drum. Not too fond of the orange longhorn though. Should be gold and black with a big Colorado Buffalo painted on it!
Them fighting words I wouldn't be able to take "Ace"(UDS) anywhere with those choice of colors and especially with Ralphie painted on it, hell someone might shoot my eye out

Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #7900
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

well done Bevo! Nice build!
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #7901
zacmac
Found some matches.

I'm about 45 pages into this behemoth and have a question that I haven't found an answer to as of yet. I am about to burn my barrel and may not be able to paint the outside right away after it cools. Anything that I can do to slow the rusting process before I can get to it?
zacmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #7902
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac View Post
I'm about 45 pages into this behemoth and have a question that I haven't found an answer to as of yet. I am about to burn my barrel and may not be able to paint the outside right away after it cools. Anything that I can do to slow the rusting process before I can get to it?
Keep it out of the rain

Really though, you probably won't get much rust as long as its stored in a dry place. Some minor surface rust might from from handling and such but a little sand paper should take that off it it becomes a problem.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #7903
zacmac
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Keep it out of the rain

Really though, you probably won't get much rust as long as its stored in a dry place. Some minor surface rust might from from handling and such but a little sand paper should take that off it it becomes a problem.
Thanks Colonel! That's kinda what I thought, but saw others say that it would rust up right away. Don't mind clean-ups/touch-ups, but don't want to have to hit the whole thing.
zacmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #7904
LoveBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Going to pick up my free drum this afternoon. It was a sealed top that has been popped so I'm left without a lid. I will be keeping my eyes open for a Weber lid, but was wondering how the fit is right out of the gate. Will it need some modifications?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #7905
IrregularPulse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Good luck on the lid. They don't tend to "just pop up" without the grill. I'm about to give up and buy a $90 grill just for a farking lid
IrregularPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker