$300 for a pellet grill

johnnylightnin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My brother is looking to get into smoking and wants something “easy for $300”. I told him for that price range he should get a pit barrel, but if he decides he wants even easier, where should I point him? I have ZERO pellet grill experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your advice. Barrel or WSM for that price range.

A WSM 18 falls just about in that price range. Easy to learn and use. Puts out good food.

If he insists on a pellet grill then I don't think he will get much unless he looks for used units or finds a Walmart clearance deal. I bought a little Asmoke pellet grill, but it is a small portable grill. I got it for cheap, but even that little rascal is $300 on Amazon now.

Fornetto Basso Well built, cool cooker. 1/3 cost of WSM closeout Lowes. It will transform into three different cookers. Comes with hanging ability hardware.

I agree on WSM being great cookers as I’ve owned several WSM’s really nice

https://brickseek.com/lowes-inventory-checker/?sku=1000714230

There are cool options between Bullet & Barrel cookers.

I’d steer him towards a camp chef smokepro SE or equivalent. $344 at Walmart. I’ve got the smokepro DLX which is a bit more expensive but if he can do without a few features I think the Camp Chefs are good entry level pellet grills.

pit boss makes a decent cooker and this time of year you can find clearance deals on them. checkout brickseek.com as a source for finding them. I have been extremely happy with my pit boss classic (walmarts version of the 700) and sold the copperhead series 5 to a friend and he uses it a ton. both were clearanced for under $300. the copperhead is about the best bang for the buck in terms of capacity I've ever seen

other non pellet options have been mentioned; wsm, pit barrel, weber 26, akorn, ok joe highland and bronco are some of the standard under $300 options that can produce good food.

You can get some old stock Camp Chef pellet grills in that range on eBay. I picked up a new STG for $269 and it was ugly, but worked just fine.

I agree with smoke ninja, Pit Boss grills are decent and they can be gotten on sale or clearance this time of year.

Saw Pit Boss Austin XL on sale at Walmart for $340 a few days ago. I used to have one. It’s a nice cooker with a lot of capacity at that price.

Do a search using Facebook marketplace and offer up. May find a pretty good deal.

Back