Nice Thighs, Comp Quality???

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
With a little trimming, would these have turn in box potential?

Picture044-1.jpg

Picture058-1.jpg

Picture073.jpg

I'm not familiar with the world of comp bbq, but they look great to me.

A friend of mine likes to say that chicken thighs are the champagne of meats!

You ask a tough question for judging though...we have to imagine what kind of trimming you would do and how they would look. As-is, if you turned in a box of pieces that looked exactly like the lower plated piece, I would probably score it a 7. With the other two pieces though it would be 6. That doesn't mean they don't look damn tasty though, they do, they look really damn good. It's just the scoring is in relation to the "prettied up" pieces normally turned in that are also seasoned and colored up nicely. Cripes, people go through so much effort just for chicken.:doh:

So in short, yes, these are comp quality if you get 6 pieces like that lower one. With good taste and tenderness scores, while you probably won't take home a trophy for chicken, your score in chicken could definitely help with an overall for another category you nail.

First they look wonderful you did a really great job, My concern on these is and I cannot really tell from the pic so I could be way off but the skin looks a little under done, Judges really like a crisp skin they can bite into leave a bite impression and not pull off all the skin in the bite. I would brown them up a bit more but this is just my opinion and those are like arse-holes everyone has one. But like I said right off I would eat those thighs they look great but for comp I think you need to toast them a bit more
RR

Last edited by a moderator:
You ask a tough question for judging though...we have to imagine what kind of trimming you would do and how they would look. As-is, if you turned in a box of pieces that looked exactly like the lower plated piece, I would probably score it a 7. With the other two pieces though it would be 6. That doesn't mean they don't look damn tasty though, they do, they look really damn good. It's just the scoring is in relation to the "prettied up" pieces normally turned in that are also seasoned and colored up nicely. Cripes, people go through so much effort just for chicken.:doh:

So in short, yes, these are comp quality if you get 6 pieces like that lower one. With good taste and tenderness scores, while you probably won't take home a trophy for chicken, your score in chicken could definitely help with an overall for another category you nail.

Thanks Chris, I have never competed and your advice is good. Gives me some direction as what to look for.

First they look wonderful you did a really great job, My concern on these is and I cannot really tell from the pic so I could be way off but the skin looks a little under done, Judges really like a crisp skin they can bite into leave a bite impression and not pull off all the skin in the bite. I would brown them up a bit more but this is just my opinion and those are like arse-holes everyone has one. But like I said right off I would eat those thighs they look great but for comp I think you need to toast them a bit more
RR

Thanks, good advice on the skin. I agree that I should have thrown them over a hotter fire to crisp up the skin. These were cooked Indirect.

Cripes, people go through so much effort just for chicken.:doh:

You said a mouth full. I will get killed for this, but there is no such thing as BBQ chicken. :boxing:

Sure there is smoked chicken, grilled chicked, and roasted chicken with BBQ sauce, but BBQ chicken is a myth that I wish would go away.

AND I live in the chicken capitol of the world.

Those do look very tasty. Although a lot of the competitors look in Q talk, not all do. You might want to post this thread in Competition BBQ section.

Those do look very tasty. Although a lot of the competitors look in Q talk, not all do. You might want to post this thread in Competition BBQ section.
I concur. In the comp forum, you'd probably have 2 pages of responses by now. Maybe more if people want to rail on about the woes of chicken!:becky:

I concur. In the comp forum, you'd probably have 2 pages of responses by now. Maybe more if people want to rail on about the woes of chicken!:becky:

I will give it another try next time. These really were just trimmed a bit and thrown on the Egg.

I did not know there was no such thing as BBQ chicken. :drama:

need more sauce, uniform pieces and skin to bit through crisp or not.You can bite through non crisp skin.

Back