A chuckie by any other name

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
... would probably produce Pepper Stout Beef just as good.

I kept hearing Pepper Stout Beef here and decided to try it and it Did Not disappoint! :hungry:

Now as I peruse the sale flyers and meat sections at my local grocery I'm faced with a variety of meats that seem sort of like a chuck roast. For the last one I got something called an English Roast. I looked it up and it seemed like it was a chuck by another name. Or maybe a different cut. Didn't have a lot of marbling but had a nice fat cap and made a good batch of PSB.

What are the names I should be looking for? Is there some Web reference that would help me?

Thanks!

Often times the names are derived from other ingredients used in the preparation not just from the cut of meat itself.

I have this issue as well. From what I gather, I believe 7 bone chuck roast, and bottom blade roast would be doable for the pepper stout beef.

I've used the bottom blade roast and turned out quite good. I asked the butcher once if there was any chuck, and he looked at me funny and said no one works there with that name :-?

I used a 10 pound hunk of beef called a "Boneless Shoulder Roast (Pot roast)" last week and it turned out great!

Chuck, shoulder, pot, English... many names for what is pretty much the same hunk o meat perhaps just cut a different way. I don't even look at the names half the time, I just look for deep red color, nice marbling and a good balance of fat to meat.

Back