MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Here we go!

So, we're legit!

Over the last months, we've been piecing the puzzle together.
I've got my Servsafe Cert, we've got insurance for catering and vending, and are getting set up in various counties in our area to vend and cater. We're also an established LLC and are all set with Uncle Sam.

This weekend, we'll be vending at a comp (while competing too) and are all set with HD permit. Going today to make the first (what seems) GIGANTIC purchase for supplies, food, drinks, etc. and take the official plunge.

I have to say, I'm a bit nervous, but not too much. We've done a lot of thinking and planning.

We're already booked for 2 other pretty big vending gigs later in the summer, have 3 or 4 catering gigs lined up and are talking with 2 different county farmer's markets to get rolling there, depending on those county's specific requirements.

This is the first step toward the big dream! Hope all this careful planning and investments pay off for us!

Thanks for all those here who (even unknowingly) have helped out with all the planning and thinking over the last months!

AND AWAY WE GO!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
deguerre

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
nthole
Babbling Farker

GOOD LUCK! Prayers for your success.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
PatAttack

GOOD LUCK, Brother!!
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

This is always exciting, getting started.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats Wampus. We'll be praying for you.

Mind if I ask what you'll be cooking on? My church is looking at starting a team and selling at the local farmers market next year (get out and mingle with the community, let 'em know we're out there and what we're doing, and feed 'em some good Q). I'm hoping we can do this on some drums. We don't really want to spend big $$$ on some other type smoker.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
deguerre

Wampus and his partner recently got a Jambo so I'm just guessing...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good for you Wampus. Go get em brother!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
deguerre

Come a LONG way since that 15 dollar ECB, eh Wampus?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck Wampus and congrats!!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
Congrats Wampus. We'll be praying for you.

Mind if I ask what you'll be cooking on? My church is looking at starting a team and selling at the local farmers market next year (get out and mingle with the community, let 'em know we're out there and what we're doing, and feed 'em some good Q). I'm hoping we can do this on some drums. We don't really want to spend big $$$ on some other type smoker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Wampus and his partner recently got a Jambo so I'm just guessing...
ACTUALLY.....

We'll be doing the bulk (if not all) of our catering and vending on an Ole Hickory CTO that Jimmy's had for a couple of years. He got it for a farkin song and I've personally put 20 butts on it and still had room to spare. The CTO's are propane assisted, fan and thermostatically controlled, so an IDEAL machine for getting sleep and such. We can do wood or charcoal or gas on it. It will be our money-maker.

The Jambo will be for competition cooking or will be used for show/flash at places like farmer's markets or big vending events where we want to impress folks.

This weekend, for instance, we'll have the Jambo and an adjacent camp to do our normal competition routine, but will also have the CTO there and a different tent for vending out of with "hired" (read: family) help so Jimmy and I can stay focused for turn-ins.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Come a LONG way since that 15 dollar ECB, eh Wampus?
Yeah, no kiddin.... Seems so long ago too......

I still have it, but don't cook on it much anymore.
SOOOOO grateful that I found this place!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

You are definitely off to the races! Make us proud and keep us posted. Cheers!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Congrats on getting up and going. What is your menu? I hope things work out for you.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Wampus

Well,

Our first event was a resounding success!

We sold out both Friday and Saturday and sold more than we expected to! We also held our own competing while vending at the same time.
(we got 4th place chicken, 10th place pork and ended up 8th overall out of 30 teams)

We sold pulled pork, brisket, spares and rib tips as meat only entrees or as a platter with a choice of 2 sides (slaw, beans or chips). We also had MOINK ball skewers for sale on Friday night.

Friday and Saturday, we cooked and sold a total of 4 big briskets, 24 pork butts, 27 racks of spares, probably 40 racks of rib tips, 120 lbs of baked beans, 80 lbs of cole slaw, 100 bags of chips, 450 cans of pop, 72 bottles of draft style root beer and 180 bottles of water.

SOLD OUT!!!!

Couldn't have been happier, or more totally exhausted.

Jimmy and I got about 5 hours of sleep total each between Thursday and Friday nights.

We've already got 2 more vending gigs lined up for the 4th of July and Labor Day events and we picked up some more catering business this weekend from customers!