MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default So... I bought this ham on sale...

Took a mosey through the Commissary after work. Needed a few bits and bobs for dinner and they have really good prices on pork and chicken.

Discovered whole fridge stocked with smoked hams and handwritten signs noting 50%+ OFF! SALE! SALE! SALE!

OK. I'll play your game... so I went over and looked.

The price was right!

Now... to figure out what to do with it.

Doesn't look like it's actually spiral sliced for me (but I could be wrong... as I was wrong just that ONE other time ).

Considering Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham Recipe or some modification thereof.

I see Brother David down in NOLA asked about this back in June with some great responses that might win me over.

Hoping to do this on Saturday. Only have about 4 hours to work tomorrow, so I'll have some prep time, if that's a factor on the day-prior.

Here's another opportunity for folks to pony up with thoughts and suggestions and ideas.

Hope you're all having a good week.
More to follow.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
16Adams

MSU a 505 Cubano

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
MSU a 505 Cubano
Oh, I like this idea very much. I'll put a pin in that one a bit and circle back around.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)

Old 01-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

heres a goodin

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=245250

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Keep it indoors. Whole cloves & pineapple. A slow roast in the oven, ham gravy from the drippin’s. Garlic smashed taters to soak up that good gravy. Mixed greens cooked down with a little chunk of that ham fat. Lard & buttermilk biscuits to hold the ham slices. Let the belt out two notches after dinner & settle down in the easy chair for a good nap. That’s the truth as I know it!

Old 01-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I did a spiral sliced ham last weekend, nothing fancy, but it was bought on clearance as well and had been in the freezer for about a year. You tend to get a little more creative than I, so I can't wait to see what you end up with. Tuning in tomorrow!
ronbrad62 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
ShadowDriver

Honestly, I'm currently leaning toward the recipe(s) that Lomey kicked toward David (Spicewine) this past summer.

Spiced Apricot Glaze!? Threaten me with a good time!

Thinking about those greens mentioned by Mike... and perhaps some sort of cornbread if I can find Mom's recipe.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Honestly, I'm currently leaning toward the recipe(s) that Lomey kicked toward David (Spicewine) this past summer.

Spiced Apricot Glaze!? Threaten me with a good time!

Thinking about those greens mentioned by Mike... and perhaps some sort of cornbread if I can find Mom's recipe.
I’ve done that one a number of times and Chris Lilly’s glaze is awesome. I’m not a huge ham fan in general (lunch meat aside) but that recipe changed my mind.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
4ever3

I do t care what ya do with it, we’ll be there in time fer dinner...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2021, 08:07 PM   #10
qapla
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Qapla

I might lean toward a mustard rub for that thing anything from yellow to spicy

Old 01-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #11
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Id rub it as normal with your favorite rub then at the end Id baste it or coat it at the end.

Baste with apple juice, apple cider vinegar, apricot jelly, SP&G put all in a pot and heat till jelly melts then slather on the ham.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Definitely keep the juices and make some "greasy rice." In place of the water you use the ham juices and flavors the rice. Sooooo good.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

That's the same ham I got except mine was spiral and I didn't do a darn thing to it. I am sure no matter what you decide on it will turn out great.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
ShadowDriver

Just "built" the Chris Lilly Apricot Glaze (minus the cayenne pepper for my munchkin's tender tongue).

Good Lord, this stuff is good! Fruity, sweet (duh, it's a glaze), mustardy, herby, umami (to which my wife always responds "¡Ay, papi!")...

I've got to step away from the stuff, otherwise there won't be any left to glaze the ham.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #15
ShadowDriver

Can't smoke stuff without adding a fatty to the list!

Gave the ham a bit of a trim down to just a thin layer of fat (per the directions).

Sure is a good amount of fat in the bag... suggestions on any way to somehow get something back from it? Render it down for cooking & flavor? Fry the bits of skin still attached like ham chicharrones? I dunno... MSU at this point.