MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #46
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker View Post
Some of the feedback I got from cook teams described The Big Poster Board Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Checks as very prized possessions. Do you guys like to get these big checks to put on the wall in the trailer or garage?
I love the big check i received at williepalooza
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-24-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #47
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

I like that shirt you have on there Sled!!!!!
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #48
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I like that shirt you have on there Sled!!!!!
Sure would be nice to get a new one to wear at my double header contest weekend next month
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #49
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

are you bringing the secert sauce

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #50
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsnwngs View Post
are you bringing the secert sauce
yep

Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #51
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebbq View Post
Hey Chad,

A few questions if you don't mind... How many contests have you, and do you compete in? Also, how many contests are there within 100 miles of your location?

Right now we are competing in 4 contests a year and have been doing it for two years so we have competed in 8 contests total. As far as how many are withing 100 miles I would venture to guess around 50 KCBS contest. If I wanted to I could easily do at least 10 contests within 25 miles of my house. But money is preventing me from doing more than 4 a year at this point. As we all know contests aren't cheap.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #52
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Sure would be nice to get a new one to wear at my double header contest weekend next month
its on the way
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #53
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Ribbons.

Last two contests paid out to 5th place. Had no problems with that. Would rather get a ribbon down to 10th than a $20 check. Another contest printed certificates from 6th through 10th. Would have rather had a ribbon.
We got a nice peace of toilet paper cert for our 9 place ribs and i was pissed no money and a paper signed by the organizer oh my stop the party train im dizzy and need to get off...

Last edited by FatBoyz; 09-26-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: miss typed
FatBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #54
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
its on the way
Thanks professor, you da man

Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 PM   #55
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

An event logo'd banner would be a cool GC or RGC "trophy". Good idea.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #56
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

I want my trophy!@!!lol
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #57
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts a fire View Post
Right now we are competing in 4 contests a year and have been doing it for two years so we have competed in 8 contests total. As far as how many are withing 100 miles I would venture to guess around 50 KCBS contest. If I wanted to I could easily do at least 10 contests within 25 miles of my house. But money is preventing me from doing more than 4 a year at this point. As we all know contests aren't cheap.
Thanks Chad, you are very fortunate having that many contests in your area, and that is very much the exception to the rest of the country. The closest to that would be some areas of Texas.... Myself, I only have 5 contests within 100 miles from my house (in Florida), and that is 2 - KCBS, and 3 - FBA.. And I am actually very fortunate... I'm going into my 6th year competing, and I have averaged between 25 and 30 contests a year, last year being the most I have done at 34 contests, this year should be right around 30... To get to other KCBS contests I have to travel a minimum of about 500 miles... Your very fortunate you don't have to include travel expenses in your costs...

On average it costs me anywhere from $650 to $1000 to do a contest, when you include all the expenses... So, when you doing as many as I am doing, some prize money to offset expenses becomes real important to afford continuing to be able to do this....
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #58
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks Chad, you are very fortunate having that many contests in your area, and that is very much the exception to the rest of the country. The closest to that would be some areas of Texas.... Myself, I only have 5 contests within 100 miles from my house (in Florida), and that is 2 - KCBS, and 3 - FBA.. And I am actually very fortunate... I'm going into my 6th year competing, and I have averaged between 25 and 30 contests a year, last year being the most I have done at 34 contests, this year should be right around 30... To get to other KCBS contests I have to travel a minimum of about 500 miles... Your very fortunate you don't have to include travel expenses in your costs...

On average it costs me anywhere from $650 to $1000 to do a contest, when you include all the expenses... So, when you doing as many as I am doing, some prize money to offset expenses becomes real important to afford continuing to be able to do this....

34 contests a year.....wow.....I think thats a lot, but thats just me.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #59
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

I can't argue with you there I am very fortunate to have that many contests so close to me and it does not cost me as much to do a contest because of my proximity to so many contests. But I also save money by not having very much money tied up in my smokers (I compete with two Bandera's) and don't even have a trailer to pull them with I just throw them in the back of my truck. So for me to compete it is realitvely cheap in comparison to alot of teams. I would like to have the money to cover my expenses also I personally prefer contests that spread more of the money out to the individual catagories instead of having it structured to where the GC get almost all of it and the catagory winners only get like 100 bucks. I would also like to see more contests pay out thourgh 10th overall. Spread the wealth out to more contestants.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #60
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

I guess the better question would be would you rather see more money in the categories or in the overall?

Sure GC and RGC are going to get their chunk but but should a category win be better or worse than finishing 3rd-5th overall?

So should I get a check for 10th place ribs or should I just get a ribbon and maybe that money goes to 10th place overall?

I do like the new trend of paying through 5th overall or something like that...
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote