Trophy or Spread The Wealth?

smokincracker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Trophy or Spread The Wealth?

I have a subject for discussion.
I went to a contest recently where the contest organizer took the money they would have invested in trophies and put it back into the prize money and spread the pay-out down into 10th place.

This allowed for a payout all the way down thru 10th in each category and down thru 5th overall. Lots of teams got checks and I didn’t hear anyone complaining about the lack of trophies. The Grand and Reserve Grand winners got the typical big 3’ x 5’ poster board check.

What do you guys think?
Trophies or Spread the wealth?

Ribbons.

Last two contests paid out to 5th place. Had no problems with that. Would rather get a ribbon down to 10th than a $20 check. Another contest printed certificates from 6th through 10th. Would have rather had a ribbon.

Interesting thought. We just had our first "walk" Sat. for a 6th in chicken and were 2.5 points outta the money. The whole way home we talked about what we shoulda/coulda done to get those points. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would rather have the ribbon and keep workin harder to get "in the money".

Just my $.02

gary

Ribbons/plaques for me as well for categories. $20 or so doesn't last long. Ribbons and plaques last forever. I like a payday but for what most contests pay out from 5th through 10th, it's so insignificant, it doesn't matter. For instance, last night, I tore open the envelope for tenth place pork in Dillon and got quarters for the $10 bill to wash my smoker and grates at the carwash. Gone! LOL!

I think the more that get a walk and a check makes it better overall for teams to stay interested and not get discouraged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take the ribbon to 10th. Keep the trophies in there! That is the only reason I compete.

Its nice to get a call and have something to show for the effort, and prize money is an added bonus.

Questions: If it was only about the money, how much fun would it really be? And how many people would actually want to be involved?

When you stop to think about it, it is truly amazing how much time, effort, and dollars go into winning a plastic trophy or nylon ribbon. A cheap article and waste to some, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Prize money is nice but the ribbons are easier to display at the next comp.

When when choosing a contest, pay outs might be what people are looking for.

Money is defintly nice but trophies are better looking on the wall.

I look at the payouts when I am picking contests as something to consider...I dont know why...it has been a while since I have had my name called for anything...I also like having all my trophies sitting in my living room when folks come over...One thing that I like about the BBQ contests is the really neat trophies that they come up with.

I prefer the ribbons. A good piece of silk is easier to handle and display than trophies and plaques. And I don't like contests that use generic ribbons or paper certificates.

And the pay-outs for the lower places usually don't even cover the cost of that particular entry.

And while we're on the subject, why don't all contests award through 10th place regardless of the number of teams competing? It's been my experience that cooks like to get calls and tend to go back to contests where they have success. If I were an organizer, I would give out at least 10 ribbons even if there were only 20-25 teams.

I'll take a ribbon worth a couple of bucks any day of the week. The $$ are a nice touch but as was said earlier you can disply the ribbon.

Trophies 1st to 5th, ribbons 6th to 10th. Top five overall should get trophies and MOST of the money. I've been at comps. where 10th place chicken gets more than 3rd overall!!! It's crazy.

Mike

Who needs money, or trophies, or ribbons. Give me the BBQ groupie chicks!

Hey a guy can dream, can't he?

I have never competed, although I have thought about it recently, and money has nothing to do with considering it, for me at least.

Keep the money to the top 5 in each category, with ribbons or medals to the top 10. I have had 3 top 10 calls in the 2 comps I've done, but have not made it to the money yet, it gives me something to shoot for next year.

Next year I will be displaying my silks & medal at the comps I do to intimidate those around me :lol: , you can't do that with a 20 spot.

I would like to see ribbons in the 6-10 places with the money being in the 1-5 places.

Trophies and money for Grand and Reserve Grand Champion
Money for first through fifth in each category.
Ribbons for first through tenth in each category.

I would like to see ribbons in the 6-10 places with the money being in the 1-5 places.

Trophy & money for Grand and reserve. If we were in it for the money, we'd starve to death. The trophys and ribbons last a lot longer.

I don't like getting $25 checks... I'd rather get more money for doing a bit better... And a nice certificate/ribbon for down to 10th.

Back